Hi all new site

Chriswrx123

Premier Users
Hi have just bought a 1980 t top trans am running a 76-77 6.6 Pontiac engine wot would be the best engine oil to put in it? Thanks chris

The 76-77 Pontiac 6.6 engine takes 10w40 oil however some people have run 10w30.
Nice to hear of someone else with a Pontiac. Feel free to post some pics here, or in the Garage section

Thanks all I needed to do now is limit the flames coming from carb timeing I think. Only on cold start on e run it's fine. Yes will try to post some pics. Did you find out wot the noise was from your engine?

Thanks all I needed to do now is limit the flames coming from carb timing I think. Only on cold start on e run it's fine. Yes will try to post some pics. Did you find out wot the noise was from your engine?
Flames sound good, although probably not good if you got an air filter. I'm not clued up on carb timing, but i expect someone on here may have advice.
Not found out what the noise is yet. Once I get power in the garage I'll take the rocker covers off and take a look, or perhaps have a better listen around with a screwdriver first. Moved into a new house which needs work, so I just need to juggle some priorities first.

Trans-Am > House ;)

I'm sure Sarah won't mind doing more around the house while you get the bat singing again :lol: *think I'll be getting a smack for that haha*

Or get sarah to repair trans-am ???:wave:

Or get sarah to repair trans-am ???:wave:
I'm sure she will be giving me a handy. She changed an engine in a Vauxhall before, and loves the smell of oil.

Darren, I think Sarah will be having words with you. lol

V8 s can suffer from cracked compression ring which can make a ticking sound? Normally towards the rear of engine.

V8 s can suffer from cracked compression ring which can make a ticking sound? Normally towards the rear of engine.
Yep, could be that. The bottom end has done 170k miles. Its not has an easy life. 10.78:1 compression, does burn a little oil. Eventually I want to change pistons and crank, as if I've gotta take the engine out(cant get sump off with engine in) to do rings, I may freshen it all up at the same time.

chris if you got flames in carb when cold try checking your accelarator pump adjustment if its to tight it will put to much fuel down carb hence the flames, but also as you say could be timing, but would pop all the time if it was that, ,,,, if ya wanna sell ya engine when you had enough let me know :whoo:................:drum:

Back