Heat pump air source anybody??

saleen 192

Core Member
Heat pump air source unit anybody had them fitted and how you find the cost?
Just asking as alot have been fitted in the last year mixed results with install and running costs.

As in the heat pumps where you push water down a pipe deep into the ground and it comes back up another pipe warmed up?

As in the heat pumps where you push water down a pipe deep into the ground and it comes back up another pipe warmed up?
No, I think that's a ground source heat pump. Pretty sure an air source one takes the heat from the air. My boss is thinking of selling them (we already sell portable air conditioners, dehumidifiers and air purifiers). The idea is that it replaces a conventional combi boiler but in theory is cheaper to run. How much, I don't know, so good question by Seleen 👍

I have plenty of hot air in the garage. A 3kw heater constantly going 24/7, if I can use that heat or convert to electric that would be a bonus.

1650591527830.png

will i right its the ones that look light a air con unit out side and inside still looks like you have radiators, not the ground source tpye dan was thinking of, the outside units they fit gages around and put them on a concrete plinth platform and fit near the the kitchen back door location, , the older ones make alot of noise so if in garden you can hear motor fan running, then you also have a hot water tank (remember the old tanks with 1 or 2 imerrsion heater elements ) with a expansion vessal as well with this system,

They are having to fit solar panels to help of set the energy cost,

1650607551652.png

And in some caes you need to put a cage around them to stop vandals and kids pocking sticks into the fan and yes some units will be double size or larger depending on size of house ,

So this can take a reasonable temperature of air, say 25c, and convert that heat in to hot water tank temperature for showers etc?

They tend to put in a electric shower as well which is 8.5kw the hot water tank is mainly for hot water to wash hands sometimes they don't put the immersion tanks in just a 10lt water heater with red expansion vessel.

If on minimum wage just for this example replacing a boiler is a cheap quick fix you up and running. but to replace to heat source put themselves into debt and wait to have done and all the hazzle of new install crazy

And on side more for being in countryside as power cuts happen more often. With a boiler weather lpg gas or oil you can plug your boiler into a DC AC BATTERY convert ( the ones that you have in vans or ones that clip onto a 12volt car battery say 1000w unit roughly 4amp) you can run your boiler so have heat and hot water. But on heat source they require 32 to 40 amp mcb type b or c for high inrush currant load. So the DC ac converter would not be able to run them in a power cut.

View attachment 165709

will i right its the ones that look light a air con unit out side and inside still looks like you have radiators, not the ground source tpye dan was thinking of, the outside units they fit gages around and put them on a concrete plinth platform and fit near the the kitchen back door location, , the older ones make alot of noise so if in garden you can hear motor fan running, then you also have a hot water tank (remember the old tanks with 1 or 2 imerrsion heater elements ) with a expansion vessal as well with this system,
Interesting, thanks for posting 👍
I am considering something like this, especially as I still have an old non-condensing combi boiler 🙄
As the unit still uses electricity to run the fan and electronics, I guess the answer is to also have solar panels to run it and be truly off grid.
I wonder what the regs are for self installing? As there is no gas involved (apart from removing the old gas boiler) you would probably just need it to be signed off by a certified electrician I guess?

You would need a electrician to do the wiring. If your boiler if doing your shower you would need to put in a electric shower and if you got gas cooker at present you would need to change to electric cooker so the incoming supply would need to be checked ie 60amp or 100amp suppliers cut out and mybe new board as well.

You would need a electrician to do the wiring. If your boiler if doing your shower you would need to put in a electric shower and if you got gas cooker at present you would need to change to electric cooker so the incoming supply would need to be checked ie 60amp or 100amp suppliers cut out and mybe new board as well.
Ah, OK. We already have an electric shower and we only cook with electric too, so got a head start. And my board has a 100A incomer. Also, the incoming supply is fused at 100A too.

I already use solar energy. The only way that I can store this energy for consumption is via an immersion heater in the hot water tank. Therefore I get free hot water all through the summer months and switch the gas boiler off from May through to October (unless it gets cold). Electrical storage via battery is becoming cheaper and more affordable.

As I understand these heat pumps. The most efficient to run is a ground sourced heat pump but uinstallation costs are higher than Air sourced. The Air sourced heat pumps are cheaper to install (but still pretty expensive ATM) but less efficient. I believe that the best way to heat a house is to fit under floor heating in a standard house but this would only give you background heat, therefore you might still need other forms of supplementary heating to boost your warmth through cold snaps. As I understand it, to take full advantage of GSHP or ASHP you need a home with a high degree of insulation. Prices will be high at the moment (like solar panels were years ago) so it would probably be worth waiting until technologies get better and prices reduce. If you haven't got one at the moment the best bang for your buck is to replace your old gas boiler for a modern condensing one.

I already use solar energy. The only way that I can store this energy for consumption is via an immersion heater in the hot water tank. Therefore I get free hot water all through the summer months and switch the gas boiler off from May through to October (unless it gets cold). Electrical storage via battery is becoming cheaper and more affordable.

As I understand these heat pumps. The most efficient to run is a ground sourced heat pump but uinstallation costs are higher than Air sourced. The Air sourced heat pumps are cheaper to install (but still pretty expensive ATM) but less efficient. I believe that the best way to heat a house is to fit under floor heating in a standard house but this would only give you background heat, therefore you might still need other forms of supplementary heating to boost your warmth through cold snaps. As I understand it, to take full advantage of GSHP or ASHP you need a home with a high degree of insulation. Prices will be high at the moment (like solar panels were years ago) so it would probably be worth waiting until technologies get better and prices reduce. If you haven't got one at the moment the best bang for your buck is to replace your old gas boiler for a modern condensing one.
Interesting information, thanks for your reply. Yeah, good point re updating my old combi boiler for a condensing one. Apparently they are much more efficient. A gas fitter friend told me that I should get the replacement cost back in just a few years from the lower gas bills!

Lower gas bills lol gas electric all gone up you not seen the news lol. But still cheaper than fitting air source and they up heaval and mess stress of installation of new air source change boiler for modern much easier and quicker and last longer.
Pumps. Fan motors already failing after a a couple of years already

Lower gas bills lol gas electric all gone up you not seen the news lol. But still cheaper than fitting air source and they up heaval and mess stress of installation of new air source change boiler for modern much easier and quicker and last longer.
Pumps. Fan motors already failing after a a couple of years already
Yeah, I know about energy prices lol. I meant lower gas bills with a condensing boiler compared to a non condensing one lol.
And agreed, the heat pump technology seems a bit risky to dive into at the moment.

Just fek off not everybody can afford to pay the installation cost nor can they afford to run them it's just a cash cow to get are money.

Couple the other day 800pound fuel bill couldn't even afford a 15pound take away.

Back