Had a few of these in my youth shooting brakes still like them

saleen 192

Core Member

1592668067478.png

Never heard of a Cortina Estate being called a shooting brake. Station wagon maybe.
My dad had a Mk3 estate and a mk4 saloon.

all estates are shooting brakes or in estate lol

Just checking on Shooting Brake definition

So what’s a shooting brake?
The term shooting brake, like many titles, isn’t used very consistently by manufacturers. Many would argue that the car must have an estate bodystyle but only two passenger doors to qualify as a shooting brake like the Ferrari FF, BMW Z3M and (if you remember it) the Reliant Scimitar. More often than not, cars classed as shooting brakes have more swooping rooflines than normal estates.

Source:- https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glo...a shooting brake?,areas behind the rear seats.

Each to their own in terms of definition I guess but the question I would ask is, is a Station Wagon a shooting brake?
5C9C702B-63F7-4D48-983C-ED0ED09BB7AC.jpeg

Not to me. But the terms have become blurred over the years, kinda like Muscle car. For me a shooting brake is usually two door and sporty but an estate car.
Traditionally, a muscle car was a less than full size car fitted with the bigger engine from a full size car from the factory. AKA the Pontiac GTO.
But people like Mike Brewer have so overused the term that to many anything with a big engine is termed muscle car.
But hey, does it matter?

Back