Fixing my crack on the Trans-Am door.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
For many years I have had a crack at the bottom of the door on the Trans-Am, its a fiberglass door. The door drops because of it. I have been putting this off for many many years, well it was like that when I got the car back in 2002. A photo album of the progress has been uploaded http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/members/transamdan-albums-trans-am-door-fix.html

Took the car into work and moved the door with the use of a lift.
attachment.php

Popped the door up on a bench to start working on it. As you can see the large crack need re-glassing.
attachment.php

Created a jig to pull the door so the crack is minimised
attachment.php

Fibreglass mesh applied along with the sticky stuff.
attachment.php

Also clamping the door skin to glue that back on too.
attachment.php

The car looking rather odd with no door.
attachment.php

Well its taken a few hours to get that far, now waiting for it to dry.

Went back to work at 8pm, to see how hard it felt. It was solid, so bolted it back on the car. Keeping the lift in place to keep any pressure off the hinges. One tight-ish took the lift away, and tried to close the door. Felt a whole lot better. The door stuck out a bit at the bottom, so a quick adjustment on the hinges and all sitting pretty darn good now.

Now can close the door with hardly any effort, unlike before. When I go to open the door a light pull on the handle the door pops open. May need some adjustment at the lock end, which I can do tomorrow.

A successful day.

Nice one :)

Back