Europe Driving trip

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
We are thinking about a European driving holiday next year, Covid allowing.
Cross the channel into France and drive south to Monaco. Monaco to northern Italy, with rest at Lake Como. Italy towards Germany via the Stelvio pass and then the German autobahns and a chance to open the car up. Then onto Sweden via Denmark ending up the Vesteras Power Big Meet.
Home via Holland to visit friends (assuming they aren’t on holiday in the UK!), coming back over from the Hook.
About 4000 miles and 14 tanks of fuel for the entire trip!
Very early stages, as in still talking about it.
So suitable overnight stops yet to be worked out.
Sound like your idea of heaven or hell?

Sounds like a great idea.
The POC planning a trip to France next year, not sure if their destination. I'd really like to drive in France again and neighbouring countries.

Since you've asked the question, I'd have to say hell :LOL:.
I love driving but that would be far too much of it in one go for me, I'd get bored...even without the inevitable traffic jams.

Sounds good to me.....If you got six months to spare!

Sounds good to me.....If you got six months to spare!

Nah. Drove almost 3000miles in two weeks following as much as possible of the original Route 66, ie not the highways. The average speed was low and we were just cruising nice and relaxed, (except for the detour via Santa Fe where I did almost 800miles in one day anyway!)
I figure 2 weeks easy at the higher speed limits.

Are you planning on hotels (Or similar) or camping? Both are good but sometimes you may want to stay in one place more than another for maybe a few days to explore the local areas, especially if you find a stunning location.

Don't want to put a damper on this trip as it sounds really good but two weeks? Hope you do it and find the time to relax on the journey.

Are you planning on hotels (Or similar) or camping? Both are good but sometimes you may want to stay in one place more than another for maybe a few days to explore the local areas, especially if you find a stunning location.

Don't want to put a damper on this trip as it sounds really good but two weeks? Hope you do it and find the time to relax on the journey.

Hotels mostly but we will pack the two man pup tent just in case!
Except for that one day, the Route 66 trip was very relaxed and allowed several days of non-driving.
So whilst it’s another 1000 miles longer I think the increased speed will help.

Sounds like a great plan, we used to do the SOF with keycamp in their mobile homes.Stop off mid way built into the travel down but we did use autoroutes as the french A roads with their villages and low speeds makes a slow journey.Monaco is a real paradise

Good to know. It should be an adventure. Possibly being joined by one couple other at this stage.
Plan B is the Scottish highlands if Covid kills our plans but that is nowhere near as appealing.

If you're planning on a 14 day trip it works out at about 285 miles per day then, which would obviously increase if you stopped anywhere for long and wanted to keep to the planned route. But it's doable, as you say, with some sprints along the way. I hope you pull it off. I'm sure the amazing scenery and lovely places will be worth it.

sounds good to me years ago i used to go touring around France didn't even plan a route or book a room just got off the ferry and SHMBO said that way

sounds good to me years ago i used to go touring around France didn't even plan a route or book a room just got off the ferry and SHMBO said that way

Winging it. We do that in the USA except for the first night. You need to give an address on the immigration form and it’s nice to know where you are going when you get off the plane. After that it’s all unknown!! Great times.

We lived in St Jacques 4km outside Grasse in the South Of France from 2011 to 2016 as we had a Dawg all our trips home when the wife and I travelled together were by Road, 16 hours with a couple of breaks, what we were told was DO NOT USE REST AREAS keep to stops that had Services, this was due to many people being attacked and robbed in the rest areas, as we travelled back and forwards we found a lot of these areas were coned off, so you could not get to them, we later found these cones off areas were where attacks had taken place, so please be on your guard, but also enjoy!!!

Any further plans on this yet? I guess thngs a bit up in the air with Covid? but have you been planning routes and stop overs etc?

Any further plans on this yet? I guess thngs a bit up in the air with Covid? but have you been planning routes and stop overs etc?

No, nothing further. I’m not convinced we will be able to do it with Covid and a no deal brexit looming.
We’ll revisit as things change.

Back