Drive-by parties! So, are car cruises allowed?

Will

Core Member
I've been hearing in the news about drive-by Birthday parties. Given the government guidelines on when you are/are not allowed to use you car, how are these parties not breaking those guidelines?
And if they are deemed to be safe based on the fact that social distancing is being maintained, then perhaps car cruises might also be OK if we did the same?
I realise that cars on the road pose a risk of increased NHS loading as a result of potential accidents, but in terms of the risks, I can't see much of a difference between the two.
Maybe they get permission for the parties. If so, perhaps we could for cruises?

Sounds good in theory but I also heard of a group of Bikers being fined for making a 200 mile round trip for Fish n Chips! Maybe the 'Party' thing is seen as family so a blind eye may be turned by plod.

That's fair enough really. I guess travelling 200 miles for fish and chips does seem extreme. Yeah, when you put it like that, it is reasonable to say that families seeing each other is a higher priority than a group of cars cruising.

Perhaps this is something for when the restrictions are eased a bit (from next week hopefully)

Perhaps this is something for when the restrictions are eased a bit (from next week hopefully)
True, let's hope so.
I definitely agree with the point of lower priority compared to families seeing each other, but in terms of actual risk of spreading the virus, I can't think why a local car cruise can be worse than a drive by party, especially if everyone remained in their vehicles.

Cruising ln your car your at least 2meter away from everybody, I am convinced there is an other reason for restricting car use

Cruising ln your car your at least 2meter away from everybody, I am convinced there is an other reason for restricting car use

Me too. And the app for measuring your contact with others is a complete invasion of privacy and should be fought.

At the moment. Along with ID cards is what successive governments have wanted for ages.
Even IF it ends up being used to track our movements, I think the app is an excellent idea. Anything which can help save lives by controlling the spread of Coronavirus or any other desease which will come along is a positive in my view. In fact, if the app had already been in widespread use, I believe that the current pandemic wouldn't have got nearly as bad as it has.

Even IF it ends up being used to track our movements, I think the app is an excellent idea. Anything which can help save lives by controlling the spread of Coronavirus or any other desease which will come along is a positive in my view. In fact, if the app had already been in widespread use, I believe that the current pandemic wouldn't have got nearly as bad as it has.

complete disagreement with you Will. I would never capitulate to the idea. Total infringement of civil liberties.

complete disagreement with you Will. I would never capitulate to the idea. Total infringement of civil liberties.
No probs mate. I get your point of course. But just to explain the reasoning behind my opinion, I think a potential infringement of civil liberties pales into insignificance compared to saving lives. That's just how I feel about it anyway.
The way I see it, we are all already being spied on more than we can truly know. Don't you ever wonder how they are able to foil many terror attacks before they can happen? And there are a lot we don't hear about... luckily.
So in the light of the potential benefits, I think any comparitvely minor negatives of the aforementioned app are a tiny price to pay.
Thankfully I haven't lost anyone close to Coronavirus, but I'd suggest asking someone who has what they think of the app.
I'm the same on CCTV actually, that can be blanket and all recording as far as I am concerned.

Opinions will vary on the app trace for C19 or any other misery thats likely to come along, however i would rather be alerted of being close to a C19 carrier in public once any restrictions are lifted as opposed to becoming ill and dropping dead

The C19 carrier shouldn't be out in public, the trouble is soo many people not isolating. Next door neighbour has her mum coming around this weekend, which probably isn't too bad, but her mum also has frequent visits from her other daughter that works for the NHS. You would think she would know better.
Perhaps the law short be tighter? better punishment? or is the virus not as contagious as the media make out?

Indeed. That's basically my point, that the app saving mine or anyone elses life is far more important to me than worrying about it possibly spying on me.
And yeah, that's another problem, people who don't seem to understand the guidance. And I agree, it is surprising to hear of some who should know better. I've heard of a few.
I did hear that this virus is roughly ten times more contagious than the flu. The other thing is that the at risk age seems to have widened significantly. I remember they were talking about only over 70's in the beginning, but not now. The PM is about my age and level of fitness and still ended up in IC.
And much younger people than that have died, even some very fit people with no previous health conditions. It is quite scary.

My concern is about fascism. 75 years ago yesterday we ended a war based on preventing the Nazi’s from controlling people lives and yet here we are discussing which aspects of their regime actually might be acceptable to us.
Not me. I’ll take my chances and if I drop dead through inadvertent contact so be it.
If it’s not Covid it will be something else.
How long before we are all implanted with trackers at birth and lobotomy’s become commonplace for those that think like me.
You only have to see what lives are like in states where human rights are controlled. China, North Korea and Russia, would you live there? Not me.

I'm not sure how an app which will help save lives from a killer virus can be associated in any way with the Nazis! I think the civilised world learnt from that horror.
Anyway, it's not just about ourselves, it's who we might inadvertently pass it to. The fact is, knowledge is power in this case.

Will. The app can and will be used far beyond the use of virus tracking and will extend to mandatory use for the tracking of individuals. It is directly linked to the Nazis tracking of Jews - they would have loved the technology available today. And it’s thanks to those who fought for our freedom that you and I have the right to discuss them so openly today. Don’t be too quick to give up those rights because tracking the citizens of this country is a slippery slope to censorship amongst other things.
With this on the horizon and China as the source of my beloved iPhone I will not be getting a new smart phone.

Regarding the app, even IF your speculation turns out to be right, so what! I believe it will be a drop in the ocean in terms of the massive infrastructure that has already been in place for many years which monitors what we all do (and which you agree on I think?). Given that fact, why haven't we decended into a Nazi style rule? Simply put, because from past experience in the western World, nobody wants that, even those in power. It hasn't happened because I believe it never will. Viral pandemics on the other hand are a real threat.
The fact that many historic hostile powers would have used today's e-technology means nothing. You could say that about many modern advancements.
On balance, I agree with the app and think it will save lives, therefore will download it when it is rolled out nationally and hope the vast majority do the same. As I say, had it already been in place, many more humans would still be with us today.
It is your opinion but you won't change mine, sorry Dave.

Back