Demise of petrol and diesel, hello electric.

so what about all the commercial viehciles out there ? trade vans , public transsport and the emergency services they will still be sold and use petrol and diesel and the inforstructa isnt there in rual areas

If they do something like they do in Ireland along with this where they deture you from driving a 10 year+ old car. Very few insurance companies in Ireland will insure a 10+ year old car. Lets hope thay dosn't come over here, else I'm repurposing the garage for something other than cars.

But the big picture item here is that they have bought forward the demise of fossil fuels whilst making zero provisions for the supporting infrastructure. And if they are counting on importing electricity from other countries I hope they understand how those countries produce it. Russia for example still burns coal to produce electricity which is far from green, so that would be more than a little hipocritical. But the with the use of child slave labour to produce the battery components anyway.........
It’s just not the answer.

I agree with it in principle bearing in mind that they have announced a ban on only NEW petrol and diesel cars, which is doable by the car manufacturers actually. I think a main aim is to reduce air quality in towns and cities, which it would., Irrespective of the effects of the charging energy required.
Although, that has to be a consideration.
True, the charging infrastructure right now would be hopelessly inadequate, but the ban is ten years away. That is plenty long enough to bring it up to speed.
But what the plan will be for older, and, in particular for us lot, classic cars will be of greater interest.

But what the plan will be for older, and, in particular for us lot, classic cars will be of greater interest.
i doubt there will be one as most cars have a very short "life". as for electric cars they are not the answer until they get rid of the battery. tesla [ the man not the car] was working on that one

i doubt there will be one as most cars have a very short "life". as for electric cars they are not the answer until they get rid of the battery. tesla [ the man not the car] was working on that one
True, it seems that parliament isn't thinking about classic cars...or they aren't saying anything at the moment anyway. This article on the Adrian Flux website isn't encouraging either.

Interesting point re the battery thing too. Reading the article below it seems that Tesla are working on a million mile battery, that could be a breakthrough.

This thread combined with the extortionate price of classic cars already makes wonder weather now is the time to jump back into the classic market?
I’ve always loved 2nd gen Firebirds and Trans-Am’s but the driving experience is certainly lacking compared to my Challenger or any other modern muscle. Could I live with it? Or perhaps I need a resto-mod?

I would only be happy with something that is either virtually concourse or something modified that could hold its own in modern traffic.

Hmm - need time to think.....

This thread combined with the extortionate price of classic cars already makes wonder weather now is the time to jump back into the classic market?
I’ve always loved 2nd gen Firebirds and Trans-Am’s but the driving experience is certainly lacking compared to my Challenger or any other modern muscle. Could I live with it? Or perhaps I need a resto-mod?

I would only be happy with something that is either virtually concourse or something modified that could hold its own in modern traffic.

Hmm - need time to think.....
Can you buy back a car you have already done? The 2nd gen you had was very nice, you done all you wanted to it. Perhaps if its still in good condition is it worth tracking down?

A push bike could hold it own in modern traffic, seems lock down has brought more people out and the roads are jammed.

Can you buy back a car you have already done? The 2nd gen you had was very nice, you done all you wanted to it. Perhaps if its still in good condition is it worth tracking down?

No. I was aiming for a goal and was already making compromises so the suspension whilst a huge improvement was far from my original plan and it was then I realised I couldn’t afford to build one. I still had the engine/trans and brakes to do too.
But, built cars never go for what they cost to build. Lesson learnt from experience with my 4th gen and from others too. People try adding the cost of modifications and then selling at that price but it almost never pays off.
So buying a built car is definitely an option and I know of several candidates from stateside contacts. I also know of virtually concourse cars and they are much more £££/$$$ than the built cars.

The last few posts have exactly hit the nail on the head as to why I have just bought an original Mini 😉
Love or hate them, they are a fast appreciating classic. Everyone has their own preference of car obviously, but for several reasons, some already mentioned, I think that most classic cars will gradually only climb in value going forward.
I think that notwithstanding faults or worn parts, worrying too much about things like how they drive is likely to lead to modifying away some of the appreciation value. But that's for the owner to decide. Although, lots of people do prefer them standard and unmolested.

Last edited:
Was just reading about how the blades used on the big scale wind farm turbines are non-recyclable. The towers and inner workings are no problem but the massive blades no one has an environmentally friendly way of disposing.
Currently they are stockpiling them!
I wonder how the ‘green’ gains of wind power will eventually stack up against the disposal of turbine blades?

Was just reading about how the blades used on the big scale wind farm turbines are non-recyclable. The towers and inner workings are no problem but the massive blades no one has an environmentally friendly way of disposing.
Currently they are stockpiling them!
I wonder how the ‘green’ gains of wind power will eventually stack up against the disposal of turbine blades?
They do have a blade disposal feature built in.

Shell has started converting some of its forecourts to EV charging stations only. No fuel, just EV. A start of things to come. Will we end up buying barrels of fuel for delivery?

Shell has started converting some of its forecourts to EV charging stations only. No fuel, just EV.

Forecourts are designed for a quick turnaround but with even with rapid charging a car is going to be parked for 45-60 mins if they come in with a low range. That means it will have to be significantly redesigned to allow much more parking and presumably cafe & toilet facilities etc.

Economically, a traditional service station with 10 fuel pumps (for easy math) could service 120cars per hour based on a 5min turnaround.
So that means to meet the same level of service and return the same profit they will have to have parking for 100-120 cars, allowing for cafe sales.
Very doubtful so how are they going to maintain profit levels??? By charging over the top amounts for electricity of course!
Rip off Britain again, but I think enough people will fall for it, or follow like lambs to the slaughter to make it work.

As technology advances, electric vehicle range will surely increase, maybe to the point that for the vast majority of journeys, charging may only be needed before and after a journey, but not en route?

Shell has started converting some of its forecourts to EV charging stations only. No fuel, just EV. A start of things to come. Will we end up buying barrels of fuel for delivery?
Yeah, I'd say that's definitely the shape of things to come. At the moment, most fuel stations supply fossil fuels, with only a few having charging capability. But there will eventually be a crossover point where it becomes the other way around.

Looks like there will be EV conversion kits. I wonder how many miles your vehicle has to run on tlectric to be classed as EV.
https://www.euronews.com/living/amp...ur-petrol-car-with-an-electric-conversion-kit

A well advertised car manufacturer sell a 'self charging hybrid' sounds great, but you can't plug it in, you use petrol or diesel to charge the battery on the go. Would these still be available after the ban? and if so, why?

Back