Demise of petrol and diesel, hello electric.

Looks like there will be EV conversion kits. I wonder how many miles your vehicle has to run on tlectric to be classed as EV.
https://www.euronews.com/living/amp...ur-petrol-car-with-an-electric-conversion-kit

A well advertised car manufacturer sell a 'self charging hybrid' sounds great, but you can't plug it in, you use petrol or diesel to charge the battery on the go. Would these still be available after the ban? and if so, why?
Very interesting stuff.
As many people probably can't afford a new electric car, conversion kits may be the answer. Surely it must be more carbon efficient to convert an internal combustion engined car than to build a complete new one?
I suppose from the moment a car ceased to burn fuel and was fully electric, it could be classed as an electric vehicle and taxed accordingly. Maybe that would be an additional incentive for the conversion?

Yeah, I've often wondered that about hybrids that still have internal combustion engines.

Can existing ICE engines use it?
Much better idea than everyone converting to electric. Hope all those backing the electric revolution realise how premature they have been.

Can existing ICE engines use it?.
It seems to imply there is little to change. May be like when you run e85, the mixture slightly different which can be just a change to larger injectors.

E85 requires different seals as it eats stock ones.
Yeah I guess some cars will have that issue, all my fuel lines are good for E85. Even regular unleaded is pretty harsh on seals too. It's a small thing to change to keep the combustion engine.
I wonder if emmisions will still be an issue. Its not 'carbon neutral' but then neither is electric as the problem is only moved elsewhere.

I believe that moving the problem elsewhere is one of the aims of electric vehicles - by moving pollution out of cities.
But bio fuels for internal combustion engines that burn cleaner sounds interesting. Could be a solution where electric vehicles are not an option.

Back