Better RSS Feeds

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
You may or may not have notices the Forums which are populated from an RSS data feed. This data is supplied from another website, like Top Gear for example in one of them.
http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/forums/48-Top-Gear-News
Keep us up to date with their articles, they test some american cars, and its also nice to see the new super cars etc.. These posts don't appear in the recent posts at the bottom as it may get cluttered.

These data feeds have been going for some time. But always had a lack of content, just to display their adverts and tempt you to click on their link which took you thought another advert page before you could read the article.

So the post would have looked like:-

But it?s NOT OFFICIAL. US company will build five real-world replicas of GT6 concept, yours for $1.5m
mf.gif

a2t.img

More...

It dosn't exactly give you a lot of info.
So what I've done it written a program, takes in the RSS feed and link, my robot visits their website grabs a picture and a few paragraphs of info and greats a new RSS feed that this forum reads from.
So now a new post will look like:-

2013 a review of the year in cars
2013-a-review-of-the-year-in-cars.jpg

Time for one last look into the rear-view mirror of 2013. It was, as much as anything, a year of conspicuous arrivals and departures.
The usual kick-off for the year in cars is the Detroit Motor Show in early January. This one was completely dominated by a single arrival - the mighty new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. For the first time in its seven generations, this one really is a car engineered and built to world standards. It was one of many good indications of a rejuvenated GM.
By the end of the year, GM's global chief engineer had become CEO of the whole company. Mary Barra also happens to be the first woman to run a car company, too.
If the Detroit show belonged to the Corvette, imagine the hulaballoo at Geneva when we finally got to look at both the McLaren P1 and Ferrari LaFerrari. By that time we'd already been in a prototype Porsche 918. Carbonfibre-bodied, hybrid-assisted 900-odd-horsepower hypercars seemed to be everywhere. Not that we were bored.
They sit at the pinnacle of trends we're seeing everywhere: light bodies, downsized engines, low drag, hybrid assistance. The VW XL1 was the most utterly extreme example. Driving it was definitely the best 68bhp we ever spent. That's why we just can't wait for next year's BMW i8 - a car that sits right in the sweet spot between XL1 and 918. The signs from this year's i3 were nothing but positive.
A drive of the LaFerrari still eludes us, but we had several steers of the Porsche 918 and (a TG exclusive) the McLaren P1 (above). They're brilliant, of course, but very different from each other. And we're glad of that wider point. People said all electrically-assisted cars would feel the same, but the P1 and 918 prove that different manufacturers can endow their hybridised cars with radically different characters.
With luck a similar diversity will persist as automation takes over many of the driver's tasks. Many major manufacturers are working on this. Nissan said it'd have a self-driving car on sale by 2020. GM is right up there too. And a Mercedes-Benz S-class drove itself 60 miles through German mixed roads in normal traffic. That experimental Benz it wasn't so different from the most heavily optioned S-class you can buy right now.
The hot hatch had its best year ever in 2013. Before they arrived, we were slathering like Pavlov's dogs over the return of the RenaultSport Clio, Peugeot 208 GTI, Fiesta ST, and Golf GTI. We were hardly disappointed with any of them, and the Fiesta ST became our Car of the Year.

Written By:- Paul Horrell

More of this article on the Top gear website

So certainly far better, gives you some interesting reading, and credit tot he autor, and also a link direct to the full article on it.

There are many other RSS feeds that we currently run, so I will also put this through the new reader.

The RSS feeds have some interesting articles, so some good reading. The forum gets the information from a file on the website we get the data from this is an RSS file, it contains a title, link and brief description. This is to get you interested to then click on the link to read more. On some of the feeds there may be a one liner description which is very poor, plus 3 adverts. The adverts don’t offer anything to our site, so my plan is to write a program to grab more information about the article and place that in the forum.
This could take a little while doing it manually. So I will write a program to read from the webpage the link points to, grab a paragraph or two, plus an image or video. This will be inserted into the forum post as it is now, the link will still be present along with credit to the person who wrote the article if known.

So we will take an RSS feed like http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/426/f/417510/index.rss
Then create our own converted RSS feed that the Solent Renegades website will process instead. It no produced this:- http://www.web-hosting-4u.co.uk/SR_RSS_Feeds/xml/topgear.htm

So basically we are creating a middle stage to supply more data. This will be great as its more content for our website. There is multiple data feeds not just the Top Gear one, like American manufacturing news too.

Back