1968 Ford Mustang Coupe. High performance 289 V8 For Sale

RSS_Auto_Poster

7282.jpg

Up for sale<br />
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe. High performance 289 V8, manual trans. Limited slip diff.<br />
Built in San Jose plant California. Imported in 2009. Owned since 2011. <br />
<br />
Exterior<br />
Good straight body, has a few dings and blemishes. Pretty good aligments. Has an older US-paint job. Could do with a respray at some point if you want really good paint or just keep as is. All Brightwork and trims are there and in pretty good condition. Has a GT grille fitted, plus Shelby style side scoops. Has GT turn signal hood also. <br />
<br />
Interior<br />
Has some wear and tear but not too bad overall. Has the nicer A/C option dashboard with the four vents. Centre console with original radio. Driver s seat has a few tears so could do with a new cover at some point. All the other seats are good. Front half carpet is a bit worn. Wood rimmed steering wheel. Gauges work, except clock and Ammeter. Has a retro, Sun Pro rev counter mounted on the column. Not hacked about at all. Complete.<br />
<br />
Under hood and drivetrain<br />
<br />
Has a more valuable 289 Engine in it. This was freshened up over the winter of 2014/15, and since then I ve been running it without problems putting around 1500 miles on it. I ve taken the car down the strip a few times since winter 2014/15 to test its performance and its run 13.69 at 101mph. I must add though that the car is not optimised for the drag strip. It s still primarily a road car. <br />
<br />
BOTTOM-END<br />
289 block.<br />
TRW forged pistons<br />
Crankshaft polished by Knight Engine Services winter 2014/15<br />
Clevite77 main and rod bearings installed winter 2014/15.<br />
ARP rod bolts<br />
Melling oil pump<br />
ARP heavy duty oil pump driveshaft.<br />
<br />
TOP-END<br />
C4OE matched pair of small chamber heads heavily reworked by I.C.E. racing engines. They"ve had lots of porting done on the intake/exhaust runners and chambers with 1.94/1.60 stainless valves installed with 3 angle valve job. <br />
Stud-mount full roller rockers, upgraded Crane Valve springs. Manley guideplates.<br />
ARP head bolts <br />
Holley Street Dominator single plane intake, also heavily ported by I.C.E. to match heads.<br />
ARP intake bolts<br />
CompCams XE284H hydraulic Flat Tappet camshaft, with CompCams Hydraulic lifters. Comp Magnum hardened pushrods<br />
Holley 650dp carb.<br />
<br />
Mallory distributor. Ford Racing 9mm leads. NGK plugs<br />
MSD blaster 2 coil<br />
Hedman long tube headers.<br />
Complemented by full 2.5 exhaust system with H pipe and Flowmaster mufflers. It sounds really nice. Quite loud, but not race-car loud.<br />
<br />
All gaskets and seals were replaced with quality FelPro/Mr Gasket items over winter 2014/15 freshen up. <br />
Edelbrock valve covers<br />
Aeromotive Fuel pressure gauge<br />
Summit Fuel pressure regulator<br />
Bosch S4 battery<br />
<br />
Toploader 3 speed manual. This could be changed fairly easily for a T5 5 speed, but to be honest the Toploader 3 speed is probably stronger. <br />
Propshaft has recently had all new U-joints fitted. <br />
8 inch rearend, with Limited slip diff and 3.80 ring and pinion. Recent axle seals.<br />
<br />
Suspension, Steering and brakes<br />
I went through the front suspension a few years ago, replacing the upper and lower control arms, ball joints and tie-rod ends with quality U.S. made Moog parts. The suspension geometry has the Shelby drop modification done to it which is a common mod to the suspension geometry utilised by Shelby in the 60 s to induce more negative camber and dramatically improve the handling as these mustangs came out of the factory with awful road handling. This is complemented by Koni adjustable shocks. Has front lowering springs. A lot of classic mustangs have a slightly arse-down stance to them. Not here. It sits very nice and level on its wheels as the photos should illustrate. <br />
Manual steering. <br />
The brakes were gone through in 2012, shortly after I purchased the car. Has front discs and rear drums.<br />
<br />
In summary this is a great driver quality mustang you can use and enjoy immediately with good period-correct upgrades. Would suit someone who has an interest in mechanicals and performance as it s a bit more Hot Rod than show car. Has a big folder full of receipts and invoices from both the USA and its time over here. MOT d and it s Historic free tax of course. Viewing recommended. <br />
14,750<br />
<br />

Date written: 01-Apr-2017

Price: £14750 As stated

More about this vehicle on carandclassic.co.uk

ID: 7282

Back