1963 Ford Galaxie sedan 289 V8 For Sale

RSS_Auto_Poster

12793.uk

1963 Ford Galaxie Fordor Sedan V8.<br />
289 V8 [4.7 litre] with a recently reconditioned Fordomatic automatic transmission, with bill to prove.<br />
UK registered<br />
Excellent runner and very presentable in good overall condition. Lovely original green striped brocade and vinyl interior.<br />
Four new white band tyres.<br />
New headlining.<br />
New carpet set.<br />
Speedo reads accurately at all speeds. Fuel and temperature gauges work perfectly as do all dash lights.<br />
Power brakes- work very efficiently.<br />
Power steering- works well, car holds a steady line at all speeds.<br />
California car.<br />
Original front and rear seatbelts, colour coded to interior.<br />
289 Cubic Inch V8 with 2-barrel carb. Runs smoothly with plenty of torque and power to cruise at decent speeds. From experience, the small-block V8 in the Galaxie is a nice alternative to the Big Block 352 and 390 cubic inch models, as mpg is considerably better, without single figure mpg around town and closer to 20 possible on a run. [This was a mid-model year introduction on the 1963 full-size Fords, introduced at the same time as the 63 Fastback Galaxies, as the 260 V8 fitted in the first half of the 63 year was not deemed powerful enough for them].<br />
There are no oil, water or power steering leaks. <br />
Exhaust system has just been gone through with side exit exhausts behind each rear door. Has a lovely burble, and is quite loud. <br />
Suspension has been lowered by 3-inches all round. Gives the car a sleeker look, but is a sensible height and not unusably low like some. The lowering job really helps the handling I have driven it around the winding back roads in the hills of Northern California and in Devon and Cornwall. For such a big car it sticks to the road pretty well. However, it still feels nice and cruisy around town, and while a bit firmer than standard it still keeps that classic American feel.<br />
April 2016 - All engine belts replaced - Two new Fleetrunner belts and one V-belt, done at Glen s Automotive in Sacramento repair total $266.43<br />
February 2016- Charging system checked due to charging issues, found poor connections at battery + generator. Replaced both cables. Glen s Automotive, Sacramento. $159.61<br />
May 2015- Rebuild transmission- Witzel auto, Turlock, California. Total cost with parts, labour and fluid, $950<br />
Previous owner was a Galaxie enthusiast [this was his daily driver, he also owned a 63 500 show car], and he was still friendly with the owner before him, a member of his car club in Sacramento.<br />
Overall the body and paint is very presentable. This is not a show winning paint job, but a less-expensive respray that looks like it was done some time ago, a good 7/10 and perfect for a useable every day classic. There is a small area of rust on the rear passenger side door, but otherwise it is solid with good floor pans and excellent chassis, no doubt benefitting from a life time in California.<br />
External chrome and stainless trim is all good, as are the original 63 Galaxie hub caps. All lights and indicators etc. work well.<br />
Interior is beautiful. It has a stripy green brocade type material on parts of the door cards and the bench seats. It contrasts nicely with the green vinyl, which is all in great condition. <br />
Door cards are in excellent condition. All the chrome door handles and window handles are there and work perfectly. The front window vents open by another smaller window crank which also work perfectly on both sides. On the passenger side the brocade has worn through in about an eight-inch square area. There are lap seatbelts front and rear. <br />
The new headlining done in original material looks great, as does the new fitted carpet set. Dash looks amazing, with no cracks in the dash top. Has had a modern CD player fitted, looks like they cut dash. Sun visors both excellent condition. Massive amount of room inside. It is an aircon model with the unit fitted under the dash. The fan for this does not work, and I haven t tried to get this working, but everything is there and should be easy to go through if that is a priority. <br />
Boot floor is good, there isn t a spare wheel, but with the Ford stud pattern easy to get a replacement.<br />
Overall this is an honest car and great cruiser.<br />
This is quite a rare model, positioned between the Galaxie 500 and the Ford 300 in 1963. It has less chrome trim around the window mouldings, along the body and at the rear. [There were approximately 5 times more Galaxie 500 s made in total than this model making it quite rare. I haven t seen another in the UK]. With less chrome it has a cleaner and less cluttered appearance than the Galaxie 500 s. This model would often be used for police vehicles and taxis. It feels like it is a custom model with its single chrome spear down the side, but is totally original body-wise. <br />
The 289 V8 has excellent parts availability in the UK, as well as many tuning possibilities. Ford made over 4 million of this unit and many are still in use today. It is also possible to get most glass, trim pieces, repair panels etc. for the 63 Galaxie from US suppliers such as Dearborn Classics if they are ever needed.<br />
It is priced lower than many of the early to mid 60 s two-door Galaxies that I ve seen advertised recently. However, it is just as fun to drive, will turn as many heads and sounds amazing.<br />
I bought this for an American road trip that I had planned for years, and drove it all around Sacramento, on the freeways of Northern California [cruised very happily at 70/80 mph] and up in the hills of Gold Country . The perfect car for a great trip, that I decided to bring back home afterwards. It started straight off the boat after shipping to UK. <br />
I m an enthusiast and have owned and driven most of the American Ford range from the early 60 s, and this is a good one, which has to make way for another project.<br />
Have just driven 140 miles to a show and it drove perfectly.<br />
UK registered, with all duties paid, and tax and MOT exempt. Not yet registered so new owner can be first on UK logbook.<br />
I am happy to assist with shipping to mainland Europe etc. Car released when funds are in my hand. Sensible offers considered. Car located in North Devon.<br />
<br />
<br />

Date written: 02-Aug-2018

Price: <td><strong>£7900 Offers invited

More about this vehicle on carandclassic.co.uk

ID: 12793

Back