Work of art PCB from 1975

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
As most of you may know I layout PCB's for companies. Not soo many these days, although did whip up a simple one last night. I came across this articles from a PCB made in 1975, it was a calculator watch. Artwork like this isn't done freehand anymore, its all straight lines or 45 degree lines (although do do curves on high speed lines) Seeing a board like which with 2 chip-on-board devices just looks soo advanced for something that is 45 years old.
pulsar902eurocalculator5.jpg

pulsar902calculatorled1.jpg

Realy nice looking at old stuff like this, pehrp[as I'm just odd, but when I degisn a circuit board i like it to look nice as well as being compact and functional.

Full article about diassembling this Pulsar watch from here:- http://www.ww.crazywatches.pl/pulsar-calculator-time-computer-led-1975

looks like spaghetti :) :)

One of mine, has a processor and FPGA on it each with 208 pins, a few RAM chips and many other things. This is just a the top side of a 4 layer board. I really enjoyed laying the tracks for this one it took some time. Its like puzzle solving, to get a tracks from point A to point B without changing layers at all and if you have to change layers do its as minimal as possible.
1594712997065.png

This is the back side,
1594713166955.png

2 layers in the middle are power planes, so a little boring.

That hand designed watch PCB looks amazing! It reminds me of the boards on some of the early TV's and audio gear I used to repair at the beginning of my career. Before I left school I used to hand draw and etch my own boards when building electronic projects, that was always fun.
And I always found the even earlier, hard wired gear fascinating, as was often found in valve (or tube) radios. They never had a circuit board at all, the components were literally hung together with solder or soldered to tag strips lol. Some of the work was amazing to see....
Screenshot_20200714-224516~2.png

Back