Weird Brake problems

Jumbot

I think the problem was me, but.............. when I bought the kj Jeep it had had new discs and pads all round, make unknown, well I could not get a good pedal, so tried to bleed the system, all bleed nipples over tightened and heads rounded off, and I could not find the right size spanner or socket, so I bled them through the banjo bolts, pedal got a lot better, but not good, so was forced to purchase a second hand lucas TRW master cylinder, which fitted and bled via the banjo bolts very well, not happy with the bleed nipples so have ordered 4 from Jeepey, have found them to be extremely good and reliable, so I recommend them, whilst on the return journey from Manchester I noticed that unforgettable smell of very hot EP90 turned out the rear diff nose oil seal had given up, I do not recommend doing this on your back on the floor, but the job was left to my Son In Law with me guiding, we got it done but I have never seen prop shaft bolts done up so bloody tight, compared to them the diff cone nut was easy!!!

Anyhow back to the brakes, we left Southampton for Hastings, a week away, which turned out to be the Holiday Cottage from hell, at the infamous Chichester Roundabouts I cooked the brakes, we were 4 up including a heavy Dog, all the luggage you can fit into the relatively small back end by the fourth roundabout the smell was bad, pulled off and could not touch the wheels, bugger, let them cool, checked the handbrake adjustment just in case I had pulled the shoes inside the disc top hats up too tight but they were fine, yes the jack and tools were under everything, I have a good wife who does as much work as me so we got it done, I slackened the Master cylinder off the Servo to make sure the rod was not too long, nope all good there, so we continued as I was much lighter on the brakes all was well for the rest of the week, Funnily enough being a Land Rover Man for as long as I remember the Jeep is growing on me.

if they got that hot might have cooked the wheel bearing as well when you bleed the brakes did you also take the calipers off? as you might have a seized caliper piston or brake slider worth checking all of them unless drums on rear ??

All sliders and caliper seals free, I have a nasty suspicion that the Pads are cheap and nasty, possibly made from compressed cardboard, If it was me too heavy on the brakes I will drive accordingly, but I still feel it should not of happened. Discs all round with internal handbrake shoes.

sliders ok and seals ok what about the brake caliper pistons did they move freely in/out ether by wind back tool or large swan kneck pillers/g clamp . do wheels run freely? when you bleed them did the fluid run smooth out into bottle ? are the brake hoses ok ? but this will also show up on bleeding system.

Unfortunately all of the above checked out, I appreciate your ideas, it has me stumped as well, two ways of looking at this, either I was applying the brakes too hard at too high a speed causing friction and the obvious heat, my fault I will put my hand up to it, Or there is a fault that has temporary gone, highly unlightly, we play the waiting game. I have removed all the calipers as finding the one fault I wanted to check out the workmanship, and add some copper slip, also re grease all the sliders, as the calipers are just calipers without any handbrake system to wind off it was pretty easy to see the caliper seals were infact ok.

Back