Troubles with Windows 7 update

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Running Windows 7 Pro, it went though an update on Tuesday, done a reboot, but it never shut down, even left it over night. Done a restart, it wouldn't go back into windows, so went into safe mode, it then started scanning for duff files. Eventually got into safemode, done a restore to previous date. Still not going into windows, done another scan disk. Well eventually got it into windows, but nothing works correctly. Outlook would load, but after being in it for 2 mins, the screen would go dull, I could open other apps like Dreamweaver, but anything Microsoft related like work and Outlook would freeze after a couple of mins.
A full backup was done 2 days prior to the problem, so went to restore, but backup incomplete. All data like circuit boards etc is backed separately every day, so they are intact, it was the complete HDD image every month that was damaged.
However in Jan 2014, I swapped out my HDD for an SSD one. So I have not put that drive back in, and copied other all my data files, and not just installing the applications I had on there before.
Perhaps the SSD is failing. Perhaps, where it didn't shut down full it was in my bag, it just got hotter and hotter.

Anyway, its Friday now and I think its almost back to working. Once I'm happy I will re image the drive back to the SSD, and keep this drive as a handy backup again.

This is the reason I've not been on the forum much over the last couple of days.

Good luck cos when they work its great but when they playup they are a nightmare, I'm currently trying to get a wifi extender to work with no luck so could be chucked in the bin and buy another new one :)

Buy a Mac lolol :) :)

Last edited:
By a Mac lolol :) :)

I have to agree. After working with computers since 1986 I finally had enough dealing with viruses, malware, incompatible hardware made by the cheapest supplier, and dealing with bug-ridden Microsoft software.
I finally bit the bullet, as far as the home computers were concerned, and bought Apple. It just works, and now my evenings are spent doing things I want to using IT, not fixing IT.

Running Windows 7 Pro, it went though an update on Tuesday, done a reboot, but it never shut down, even left it over night. Done a restart, it wouldn't go back into windows, so went into safe mode, it then started scanning for duff files. Eventually got into safemode, done a restore to previous date. Still not going into windows, done another scan disk. Well eventually got it into windows, but nothing works correctly. Outlook would load, but after being in it for 2 mins, the screen would go dull, I could open other apps like Dreamweaver, but anything Microsoft related like work and Outlook would freeze after a couple of mins.
A full backup was done 2 days prior to the problem, so went to restore, but backup incomplete. All data like circuit boards etc is backed separately every day, so they are intact, it was the complete HDD image every month that was damaged.
However in Jan 2014, I swapped out my HDD for an SSD one. So I have not put that drive back in, and copied other all my data files, and not just installing the applications I had on download gta 5 mobile (100% working) – android before.
Perhaps the SSD is failing. Perhaps, where it didn't shut down full it was in my bag, it just got hotter and hotter.

Anyway, its Friday now and I think its almost back to working. Once I'm happy I will re image the drive back to the SSD, and keep this drive as a handy backup again.

This is the reason I've not been on the forum much over the last couple of days.
Based on your description, it's possible that the SSD drive is failing, especially if it was running hot for an extended period of time. Overheating can cause damage to computer components, including hard drives and other storage media.

Funny enough, this thread has popped up since I brought a new laptop last night to replace the one in this thread. Seems I have had it a long long time. 2014?...

sorry I didn't pay attention to the time. thank you for reminding me
No problem. Always great to generate threads, as it may be usedful to someone when they search.

I did loose contents of an SSD once, as a laptop was in its bag, and for some reason the laptop decided to turn on. With no ventalation in the bag it just got hotter and hotter. Eventually above the rated temprature of the SSD, and it lost files. Rest of the laptop was fine.

Last edited:
Sometimes these updates can be a real maze to navigate. Glad to hear you're almost back on track. Regarding the SSD, it might indeed be worth checking its health just to be sure. Good call on keeping a backup—it's a lifesaver in these moments! If you're considering upgrading or reinstalling your OS, https://digitalchillmart.com/product/windows-11-pro-32-64-bit/ offers legit software options. Hopefully, everything gets sorted smoothly, and you're back in the forum loop soon!

Last edited: