The Ariel Nomad, Top Gear"s Freak of the Year

RSS_Auto_Poster

Written by Tom Ford
3256.jpg

Everything is pain. And what isn"t burning with the blunt shear of broken nerves has gone worryingly numb. Fingers have long since ceased to function with any kind of useful dexterity, and I"m pressing pedals with someone else"s feet. Even more profoundly, the pool of water that has collected in my crotch has frozen, and I can"t feel the ice, or the area. I would cry, but my tears have congealed into unhappy slush.But that"s what you get when you commit to driving an Ariel Nomad in a particularly virulent Scottish winter. In a hurricane. Yup, this morning"s forecast involved, and I quote, "hurricane force winds with speeds of up to 12 Beaufort" and "considerable widespread damage to vegetation and houses, with airborne debris".Not what you want to hear when the car you are driving doesn"t have sides, a roof, a windscreen that is more windbreak, and a 300+bhp supercharged 2.4-litre Honda four-cylinder that does without the comfort of traction control. By any standard, this shouldn"t be fun.Photography: Justin LeightonThis feature was originally published in the May 2016 issue of Top Gear Magazine.

Date written: 1 May 2016

More of this article on the Top gear website

ID: 3256

Back