Site Visit of the Week

Stephen CA

Core Member
The first car journey in the UK in a "Horseless Carriage" was from Micheldever to Datchet in 1895.....

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4
It's still a great building, sadly neglected by Network Rail which is fairly normal, and I don't think it's actually by Sir William Tite as he only did termini stations....nice to have a say in its future though.

image.jpeg

Indeed, it does look like a classic old station building (love the old red phone box outside!) and that interesting piece of history makes is quite iconic.

Indeed, it does look like a classic old station building (love the old red phone box outside!) and that interesting piece of history makes is quite iconic.

Ironically, most of these old Mk 2 phone boxes (designed by Giles Gilbert Scott) are also listed as well, which preserves them. They have been sold off over the last few years and have been put to a variety of uses. The really rare boxes are the 1970s K8s.

On searching for the K8's, I came across this one....

A post office in a phone box. Who would have thought there would be room apart from Dr.Who
4411274982_86da0d46b3_b.jpg

On searching for the K8's, I came across this one....

A post office in a phone box. Who would have thought there would be room apart from Dr.Who

That's a thing of beauty, never seen one of those in the flesh before, the K1s with the perforated tops were the forerunners of the K2 and designed by the same architect but we're only put in London. We should start an "Architectural Curios" forum on here for people to post the weird stuff they find on their travels....

That kind of figures I guess, the Post Office used to run our telephone network didn't it? The GPO?

Back