Rover v Ranger speedo advice

Bryn Jones

Can anyone recommend someone in Hampshire area who might solve a speedo issue for me? 2002 Ford Ranger with standard dash and instruments and Rover V8 with manual box fitted. It’s the last piece of the puzzle since the rebuild and paint. Getting the speedo to work from that drive train. Also looking for someone to set the engine/carbs up nicely. cheers. C811D69C-C8D4-4016-9FD4-A988B7A66E9F.jpeg

Dose the speed cable rotate when in gear as thus then turns the speedo if not then the drive gear or cable at fault if it turns then possible fault with dash you do have it located right? Can be a pain to locate wen dash in.

Was the 2002 electronic? Ie didn’t use a speedo cable but counted revolutions on a reluctor ring?

I think there are conversions out there using a stepper motor?
Can’t help with local person, I’m not local!

Dose the speed cable rotate when in gear as thus then turns the speedo if not then the drive gear or cable at fault if it turns then possible fault with dash you do have it located right? Can be a pain to locate wen dash in.
Thanks for the reply – my problem is that the Speedo is electronic and works from a sensor, which the Rover box didn’t have!

Was the 2002 electronic? Ie didn’t use a speedo cable but counted revolutions on a reluctor ring?

I think there are conversions out there using a stepper motor?
Can’t help with local person, I’m not local!
Hi, thanks and you are quite right. The Ranger gets the info from a sensor which the Rover box doesn’t have. I’m using a mobile GPS speedo which is more accurate but I’d like the actual speedo to work!

New drivetrain into older cars this is well covered but older drive train into new cars not so much.
You will need some sort of signal generator that will screw into the tail shaft in place of the standard speedo drive. The signals can be sent to the speedo and with some tinkering the speedo will be accurate.
I have seen some adapters that do just that but whether they are for your transmission.....?
You could have the speedo gutted and fitted with a GPS receiver. I think Autometer sell gauges like that.
You might try Dakota Digital, they may well be able to help.
Otherwise I think you are into a completely custom setup which is the conclusion I think you have reached.
Not much help, but maybe something triggered an idea.

New drivetrain into older cars this is well covered but older drive train into new cars not so much.
You will need some sort of signal generator that will screw into the tail shaft in place of the standard speedo drive. The signals can be sent to the speedo and with some tinkering the speedo will be accurate.
I have seen some adapters that do just that but whether they are for your transmission.....?
You could have the speedo gutted and fitted with a GPS receiver. I think Autometer sell gauges like that.
You might try Dakota Digital, they may well be able to help.
Otherwise I think you are into a completely custom setup which is the conclusion I think you have reached.
Not much help, but maybe something triggered an idea.
Thanks. A couple of useful leads there so appreciated.

could try speedy cables but they ain't very speedy