New Starter for the Trans-Am

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Over the last 6 months, there has been a couple of occurrences where the car won't start, you hear the solenoid click in the starter but no turning over. Jump start the car and it will fire up. Well it happened again when leaving for car club on the 5th Aug, tried to jump start it, but still no go, so didn't take the Trans-Am to car club that night.
Charged up the battery over night, it fired up right away in the morning. So drove to work that morning. At lunch time it wouldn't fire up again, tried jump starting it, after a few mins of charging, then tried to fire it up, and it fired up.
Seems like a duff battery, so went to but a new battery from Pro-Parts, fitted it, fired up right away.
That evening I went to leave work, wouldn't fire up, nor would jump starting it. The starter just does its single click and nothing else.
My mind kept telling me it was the battery, but now I think its the starter. Thursday morning I took off work, renewed all battery terminals, and check the connections on the starter and alternator. Everything is looking good. Charged up the battery good and proper, still no starting. So ordered a new starter from RockAuto, ?140 all in, shipping and taxes. So not too bad. They had cheaper ones, but AC Delco is a name I recognise, so went for one of them.

It left Gardena, CA at 11pm on the 7th (GMT) its now in a Transit in Indianapolis at 8.30am this morning. Thats a 4h30min flight between them, so it is motoring along. I wonder where its going to be next. Gatwick would be nice :), fingers crossed it arrives Monday.
If I reconditioned my old one, it would have been back Monday if I gave it to them Thursday. I think I may re-con it as a spare, its nice to stick a new one in there now though.

View attachment 41290

Well FedEx are certainly motoring with this delivery, believe it or not, it's landed in stanstead about an hour ago.
Still won't get it till Monday though and it's on a weekday delivery only. So it's come from west coast of the state's, and landed in England in under 24hours.

This morning it has arrived at the fareham FedEx depot. I'm going near that way so it's worth a shot to see if I can collect and save waiting till Monday. They are open to mid day, I expect they dont give it to me for security reasons, or they can't locate it in the depot. I can't turn down the slim chance that I can collect the parcel with my shiney new starter motor in it. I could get it on the car today and get to the show tomorrow.

Would you believe it. I got to the FexEx depot. Spoke to a chap, he said its not out for delivery till Monday, I said I understand if you cant fetch it, but it would be much appreciated as its a part for the car and there is a car show on tomorrow. So he went off to find the parcel, and came back with it. Well impressed FedEx went that extra mile, the didn't have to give it to me. Its brilliant they have. I'm well chuffed.

Now to fit it, doing a bit of washing machine fixing first, and then sorting the lock on the fiesta drivers door, will fit the Trans-Am starter before doing some circuit board design and programming.

The new starter is on there :), didn't take too long, and fired up dam quick. The motor certainly spins the engine with ease.

Great news Dan ;)

attachment.php

old Starter coming out

attachment.php

New and old starter side by side, took of the heat shield from the old, and just about to pop it onto the new. The started look pretty much identical apart from the age. The new one is AC-Delco.

attachment.php

Connections cleaned and copper greased and bolted down.

attachment.php

Starter ready to be lifted up into position. The nice thing about joining the wires is that they are long enough to come out of the bottom of the car. Its a nice luxury. They would be a pain to get to other wise, would almost have to take the long tube headers off to get to the starter, but taking the starter out and then undoing the wires its the perfect way to do it.

attachment.php

Starter up in position, the two bolts bolted in, checking the wires to make sure none are trapped or too near the exhaust.

All good to go, shortly after that started the car up. Dam does it start up quick, that new starter is certainly lively.

Back