New Engine part 2

insaneron

Core Member
At last work on the new engine has started.

Having ordered everything back in August after destroying the old engine thanks to a MSD failure work has started on the new engine. Dave Powell from Performance unlimited has I think been very patient with me. Dave carried out all the machine work on the new Ford Motorsport Block. The block came with a Standard Bore size of 4.3". I've gone for a 4.5" bore which has meant that the block has had to be bored 6 times. I've gone this route because if we hurt the engine again it ca be bore bigger, if I had gone 4.6" bore then any damage and its more or less a new sleeve. Although the main machine work was done by Dave this is still a brand new raw block. So after spending thousands on the block and machine work I had to take a blunt chisel and hammer to it. Then it was hours of using a die grinder. The 2 main area's to look at were the oil ways and get rid of all the edges left from the casting process.

1. The oil ways: The idea is to smooth out the path in and out of the oil way.

2. The edges: This is the help eliminate the points where cracks can start as well as getting rid off any sharp jagged edges that we could cut our selves on.

Back