New 2020 Hyundai i30 facelift breaks cover

P

Pete Baiden

Alex Ingram 2020-02-25 23:01
The Hyundai i30 hatchback, Fastback and Wagon receive revised styling, improved infotainment and mild hybrid powertrain options

Hyundai i30 facelift - studio front

This is the facelifted Hyundai i30. The third generation model has received a host of updates to keep the model fresh in the face of competition from the Ford Focus and the new Volkswagen Golf.

Inside and out, the styling changes to the i30 are subtle. From the outside, the most obvious changes come at the front, where a new bumper design sits below a wider, more shapely grille, and new headlamp units feature LED running lamps.

Best hatchbacks on sale right now

This time around, however, there’s a greater difference between the regular models and the sporty N Line trim. The rest of the range gets a different shape for the grille and extra chrome bits for a slightly classier look.

Image 2 of 30

Hyundai i30 facelift - studio rear

Image 2 of 30

Around the back, the only real change comes at the tail lamps, which now feature LED graphics. New 17- and 18-inch wheel designs feature, while there are three new paint finishes to choose from, including the ‘Sunset Red’ shown in these images.

Inside, the i30 gets improved infotainment tech, including a 10.25-inch touchscreen that has already featured in the latest Ioniq and Kona. It provides a clearer layout, including customisable shortcut tiles on the home screen. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both standard, and later in 2020, they will be able to function wirelessly.

Ahead of the driver, the latest i30 is now available with a seven-inch display. The digital part includes the speedo and trip functions, and its graphics change based on the driving mode. It’s surrounded by analogue dials, including a rev counter, fuel gauge and temperature readout.

Image 3 of 30

Hyundai i30 facelift - studio dash

Image 3 of 30

The i30’s engine lineup has been completely overhauled for 2020, with a range of updated petrol and diesel units, plus mild hybrid tech. The old 1.4-litre unit has been significantly re-engineered into a new 1.5-litre unit, which kicks off the range with 108bhp. A turbocharged version of the same unit tops with 158bhp - 20bhp more than the old 1.4 turbo.

That turbocharged model also benefits from a 48-volt mild hybrid system, which uses energy recovered under deceleration to enable quicker stop/start systems and engine-off coasting. The same system is also fitted to a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol with 118bhp (the same engine will also come without the hybrid setup) and to a 134bhp 1.6-litre turbo diesel.

The final engine option is a non-hybrid 1.6-litre diesel with 113bhp. The lowest powered petrol is only available with a six-speed manual gearbox, while the rest are available with a choice of seven-speed dual clutch auto or a new six-speed manual. This is able to disconnect from the engine when the driver lifts off the accelerator to save fuel.

Safety functions have also been upgraded for the latest model, with four systems making their way onto the i30 for the first time. Lane Following Assist combines with adaptive cruise control to enable a semi-autonomous driving function for short periods of time, while blind spot collision warning can both alert the driver of other vehicles and swerve to avoid a collision. A rear collision avoidance system is able to brake the car while reversing if necessary, while a further system can warn the driver if the car ahead has moved away in heavy traffic.

There will be one or two revisions to the trim levels when the revised range comes to the UK towards the end of the year. The sporty fastback models, for example, are set to be offered exclusively in N Line trim. While the Estate will now be offered as an N Line, this combination is unlikely to be offered here.

Do you like the look of the facelifted Hyundai i30? Let us know your thoughts below...

Associated Advanced Gallery
New 2020 Hyundai i30 facelift breaks cover - pictures

Continue reading...

Back