Insuring an Electric Car

AT, out of interest, what electric car do you have?
I've seriously been considering one.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq. One car designed around 3 variants.
Hybrid, traditional petrol/electric mix like the Prius but with a real gearbox instead of the awful CVT.
Plug-in hybrid. Essentially the electric version with less battery range but with a Petrol range extender.
Electric. What I have.

The plug-in hybrid wasn’t available when I placed the order for mine. Would remove the biggest downfall currently which is range, but range extenders are meant for permanent use. Just to get you home whereas the electric would leave you stranded.

Mine is up for replacement May 2021 so at the end of 2020 I will start investigating my options. There are many more available now.
I think the best comparison site is nextgreencar.co.uk from memory.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq. One car designed around 3 variants.
Hybrid, traditional petrol/electric mix like the Prius but with a real gearbox instead of the awful CVT.
Plug-in hybrid. Essentially the electric version with less battery range but with a Petrol range extender.
Electric. What I have.

The plug-in hybrid wasn’t available when I placed the order for mine. Would remove the biggest downfall currently which is range, but range extenders are meant for permanent use. Just to get you home whereas the electric would leave you stranded.

Mine is up for replacement May 2021 so at the end of 2020 I will start investigating my options. There are many more available now.
I think the best comparison site is nextgreencar.co.uk from memory.
Thanks for that, interesting. I only live a few miles from work, so range wouldn't be a priority for commuting. We would keep an internal combustion for now for long journeys and as a main vehicle. But a hybrid sounds like it could eventually be the way to go for that though.

Then a used Prius is probably what you are after.
I had an Auris on loan whilst the Ioniq was built and hated the CVT gearbox. If you live with the CVT, and loads do, then as a used hybrid it’s probable the easiest to find and get serviced.
Otherwise, Nissan Leaf perhaps?

When my Kia Picanto became 3 years old, I had the option to trade in towards another Kia. I did consider going fully electric. They had no small EV cars. They have one the size of a Skoda Octavia, or the old people disability SUV looking vehicle called the Soul EV, which I certainly didn't like the look off.

So I stayed with the Picanto for now. I was just looking for a little electric car for nipping around town in. Which is also the reason why I have a thick power cable going to the new garage. As if you can charge a 20Kw car in an hour, that's around 100amps, the house fuse board should blow at 100A, garage cable can take around 80amps. If I could charge a 20Kw car in 2 hours, then that's only 50amps, so I guess different home chargers are available. I'd probably charge it up at 2kwh if I had a choice, and do it over a number of daylight days, then its free :)

When my Kia Picanto became 3 years old, I had the option to trade in towards another Kia. I did consider going fully electric. They had no small EV cars. They have one the size of a Skoda Octavia, or the old people disability SUV looking vehicle called the Soul EV, which I certainly didn't like the look off.

So I stayed with the Picanto for now. I was just looking for a little electric car for nipping around town in. Which is also the reason why I have a thick power cable going to the new garage. As if you can charge a 20Kw car in an hour, that's around 100amps, the house fuse board should blow at 100A, garage cable can take around 80amps. If I could charge a 20Kw car in 2 hours, then that's only 50amps, so I guess different home chargers are available. I'd probably charge it up at 2kwh if I had a choice, and do it over a number of daylight days, then its free :)

Crikey! When discussion about electric cars comes up, people often question whether they are just moving your carbon footprint elsewhere. When you talk about 100 amp fast chargers that really brings it home doesn't it lol. The highest power consuming thing in our house is the 9.5kW electric shower at about 39 amps!
But as you say, that's cancelled out if you have solar PV (notwithstanding the CO2 generated in making the electric car, it's batteries, the PV panels and control gear lol). But I guess most of that is eventually compensated for over time.

Then a used Prius is probably what you are after.
I had an Auris on loan whilst the Ioniq was built and hated the CVT gearbox. If you live with the CVT, and loads do, then as a used hybrid it’s probable the easiest to find and get serviced.
Otherwise, Nissan Leaf perhaps?
Yeah, I had wondered about a Prius. There seems to be plenty of choice on the used market. But presumably I'd need to be aware of those with limited battery life? I'm guessing they aren't cheap to replace?

Is it right that with a Tesla its around £400 road tax?
As the battery is 'life', it would be nice to visit the Tesla route, but I guess a new one costs a bit, I've not looked into it.

I had a quick look at my options yesterday.
The latest Ioniq boasts a longer range than my current model by 40-50miles, which would definitely be useful.
Also looked at the Tesla model 3 but I’m not sure I could drive a car that looks like Meaker from the muppets!!
71DFBF10-294D-44B2-BF9B-A48A5F6FBF99.png

0DAF3536-36E0-407D-8FBE-68ED6F38A2C1.png

Is that a self portait Dave? ;)

It's not the prettiest looking car, but I've seen worse. It makes an interesting point though, that the front of EV's have the ability to look quite different to IC cars because there's less need for cooling.

Is that a self portait Dave? ;)

no, it’s a picture I took of you at the season closer!:devilish:

It's not the prettiest looking car, but I've seen worse. It makes an interesting point though, that the front of EV's have the ability to look quite different to IC cars because there's less need for cooling.

Indeed the electric Ioniq doesn’t have a grill either. But that Tesla is ugly. Might grow on me on though.

no, it’s a picture I took of you at the season closer!:devilish:

Indeed the electric Ioniq doesn’t have a grill either. But that Tesla is ugly. Might grow on me on though.
Naa, can't be me, it would have trashed your camera! :ROFLMAO:

That Tesla might look smart in black? (assuming you can live with how quickly black cars look dirty lol. I know...we have two black uns!).

Back