importing a car and autocheck questions

saleen 192

Core Member

take this truck for example, it shows it's had a front impack crash and is that question mark loan still outstanding, and dose that list in detailed list section show all it's owners????? so same type of report as are uk HPI reports????
if importer brings a car/truck over to uk no warenty or garage can supplied one of these uk warrenties? what sva will be needed for this truck? for dvla to let it be registered on uk roads also this advert dosnt say what engine but think it's a 5.4 sc v8 that are in other saleen trucks

A chap called Tony in the club has a black mustang. Someone impotered it, and after driving it for a year, found the seat belt fell apart, looking into the history, found the car was in an accident state side, front end damage accurred, and looks like the seat belt had been cut and just rolled back in.

It is concerning what comes in and what details are not passed on.

Did he check with carfax prior to import?
I was looking at a Challenger before I bought the Scat but found the car I was interested in had been totaled in Texas. Carfax revealed it and all I needed was the VIN

it's just something i was looking at on e.bay and thought i would ask, are the crash details systems caturgorys the same in the usa to uk ie some are aloud back on road some are not cat s c d n ,

what sva converssions would be needed?

as per dans friends members car why wasnt it picked up on an mot ?

as per dans friends members car why wasnt it picked up on an mot ?
Only discovered when pulled the seat belt to the full extent. Perhaps something that should have been done on an MOT.

As I mentioned on a separate thread, I am looking into importing a car from the States, and this year hopefully. I was off topic so thought this thread would be more relevant. I am a way off being ready yet as I would need to sell a couple of vehicles. I have never done it before and it looks to be a potentially stressful minefield, so I welcome any information. As has been posted by AT, Carfax looks a valuable tool. But I'd still be buying blind in a way, which does worry me. I suspect that finding a good company who you can trust to inspect the car is key. But that too looks to be a minefield as there seems to be many to choose from and I'd rather not have most of my funds consumed by a greedy one.

There is no alternative to doing your own homework on a cars history and the seller, but once you are happy shipmycar offer a door to door insured service with all duties, registration and SVA included (including lights conversion). They also have an inspection service for the far end before you pay the big numbers.

Thanks for the info 👍. You have already answered my next question, which was who can anyone recommend. If you don't mind me asking, did you use them for your cars? If so, I have to say their condition is certainly a credit to their far end inspectors!
What can I expect to pay, ball park? Presumably locations can affect the price?

very good service and comes very highly commened i haved used services and i know a lot of other people that have and even imported a lime green chevy camaro

Thanks for the info 👍. You have already answered my next question, which was who can anyone recommend. If you don't mind me asking, did you use them for your cars? If so, I have to say their condition is certainly a credit to their far end inspectors!
What can I expect to pay, ball park? Presumably locations can affect the price?
If you go on their website you can get a detailed quote :)

Never got beyond the quote stage but know people who have. I was very close to pulling the trigger just last week (don’t ask, not telling!) and would have used them.

Last edited:
I was going to use them to import a solstice before I bought my current one. Even paid the £250 to inspect the car (which they will do for you too).

I never do what i am told what were you thinking of importing lol,,,, well we do like to go of thread start a new one and tease us all

Not gone off thread - it was all about importing a car :)

Many thanks for the info and pointers folks 👍. I will get some quotes to try and get some idea of the costs, then I will know roughly what my car budget will be. As I say, it won't be happening just yet as I need to prep and sell other vehicles first.

Don't know who is importing in this area? But starting to see alot of American trucks farmer are getting the raptor and the chevy trucks they are massive and some 5th wheel and dulley twin wheel jobs as well even saw watch I beleave was a saleen truck or a least Ford truck its nearly dark but sounded great. Think farmers are buying due to the towing weight limits compared to say a Nissan l200 type truck.

Back