Hotmail emails bouncing back

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Yesterday afternoon I tried sending an email to a hotmail.com email account. Via the Solent Renegades email server. However it bounced back.

This is the mail system at host server.solent-renegades.co.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<emailname@hotmail.com>: host mx4.hotmail.com[65.55.33.119] said: 550
SC-001 (COL004-MC5F22) Unfortunately, messages from 5.77.63.84 weren't
sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their
network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to
Bad Request. (in reply to MAIL
FROM command)

So I check a well known place to see if it is listed on blacklist servers.
Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email

Checking 5.77.63.84 against 95 known blacklists... Listed 0 times with 1 timeouts

Blacklist Reason TTL ResponseTime
OK ASPEWS 31
OK BACKSCATTERER 31
OK BARRACUDA 63
OK BBFHL1 31
OK BBFHL2 31
OK BLOCKLIST.DE 47
OK BSB 31
OK CASA CBL 31
OK CASA CBLESS 31
OK CASA CBLPLUS 31
OK CASA CDL 31
OK CBL 78
OK CYMRU BOGONS 31
OK DAN TOR 31
OK DAN TOREXIT 31
OK DNS Realtime Blackhole List 31
OK DNS SERVICIOS 31
OK DRMX 31
OK DRONE BL 31
OK DULRU 31
OK EFnet RBL 31
OK EMAILBASURA 31
OK FABELSOURCES 31
OK HIL 31
OK HIL2 31
OK IBM DNS Blacklist 47
OK ICMFORBIDDEN 31
OK IMP SPAM 47
OK IMP WORM 31
OK INPS_DE 47
OK INTERSERVER 31
OK ivmSIP 31
OK ivmSIP24 31
OK JIPPG 31
OK KEMPTBL 31
OK Konstant 31
OK LASHBACK 31
OK LNSGBLOCK 31
OK LNSGBULK 31
OK LNSGMULTI 31
OK LNSGOR 31
OK LNSGSRC 31
OK MADAVI 31
OK MailBlacklist 31
OK MAILSPIKE BL 125
OK MAILSPIKE Z 125
OK MEGARBL 125
OK MSRBL Phishing 31
OK MSRBL Spam 31
OK NETHERRELAYS 31
OK NETHERUNSURE 31
OK NIXSPAM 125
OK NoSolicitado 31
OK ORVEDB 31
OK OSPAM 31
OK Protected Sky 109
OK PSBL 31
OK RATS Dyna 94
OK RATS NoPtr 94
OK RATS Spam 94
OK RBL JP 31
OK RSBL 31
OK SCHULTE 31
OK SECTOOR EXITNODES 31
OK SEM BACKSCATTER 47
OK SEM BLACK 47
OK Sender Score Reputation Network 31
OK SERVICESNET 31
OK SORBS BLOCK 31
OK SORBS DUHL 31
OK SORBS HTTP 31
OK SORBS MISC 31
OK SORBS NEW 31
OK SORBS SMTP 31
OK SORBS SOCKS 31
OK SORBS SPAM 31
OK SORBS WEB 31
OK SORBS ZOMBIE 31
OK SPAMCANNIBAL 31
OK SPAMCOP 31
OK Spamhaus ZEN 31
OK SPEWS1 31
OK SPEWS2 31
OK SWINOG 31
OK TRIUMF 31
OK TRUNCATE 31
OK UCEPROTECTL1 31
OK UCEPROTECTL2 31
OK UCEPROTECTL3 31
OK URIBL multi IP 31
OK VIRBL 31
OK Woodys SMTP Blacklist 31
OK WPBL 31
OK ZapBL 31

All checked out okay, so we are not on any blacklists.

So delved into this deeper, as there must be something stopping emails to Outlook.com / Hotmail.com There was a link in the bounce back email. So followed that, they have a review server that you can submit to and to find out why they wont accept emails from us. I get a reply.

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Conditionally mitigated
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) qualify for conditional mitigation. These IP(s) have been unblocked, but may be subject to low daily email limits until they have established a good reputation.

Please note that mitigating this issue does not guarantee that your email will be delivered to a user's inbox.

Ongoing complaints from users will result in removal of the mitigation.

Mitigation may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

If you feel your issue is not yet resolved, please reply to this email and one of our support team members will contact you for further investigation.

Regardless of the deliverability status, Outlook.com recommends that all senders join two free programs that provide visibility into the Outlook.com traffic on your sending IP(s), the sending IP reputation with Outlook.com and the Outlook.com user complaint rates.

Junk Email Reporting program (JMRP) When an Outlook.com user marks an email as "junk", senders enrolled in this program get a copy of the mail forwarded to the email address of their choice. It allows senders to see which mails are being marked as junk and to identify mail traffic you did not intend to send. To join, please visithttp://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts.

Smart Network Data Services program (SNDS). This program allows you to monitor the 'health' and reputation of your registered IPs by providing data about traffic such as mail volume and complaint rates seen originating from your IPs. To register, please visit Smart Network Data Services.

There is no silver bullet to maintaining or improving good IP reputation, but these programs help you proactively manage your email eco-system to help better ensure deliverability to Outlook.com users.

So I have signed up to the SNDS and JMRP to keep an eye on things.

What I think has happened is the renegades email newsletter goes out, 179 people listed on the forum have a hotmail/outlook email account, not all of them get the newsletter anyway. One a few people drag this to their junk folder, it marks it as spam, escalates to the Outlook folders, and then blacklist our IP address. I can filter out some outlook users, say no activity for 2 years they get deleted from the forum, but is that fair? I wonder what their threshold is, and even if it was the Newsletter that triggered it. It would take a long time to manually edit ever user with an outlook email account and untick them from receiving emails from admin. It would have to do it every couple of weeks as new people join up. Could be a right p.i.t.a. Anyway, I will monitor things to see where the real issue creeps in.

Back