German Tuner Slams Twin-Turbo V8 into BMW i8

RSS_Auto_Poster

Written by Jonathon Klein

771.jpg

BMW"s i8 isn"t a supercar. Sure it has falcon peck doors, and a ridiculous design that looks like it"s pooping out a Porsche. But it just doesn"t have the getup and go any of the modern supercars have. Think of cars like the Ferrari 488 GTB, or even the new Corvette Z06, when it"s working. The i8, with it"s three-cylinder engine, hybrid drivetrain, and not so great tires, just doesn"t do it for modern supercar design or engineering. However, that all might soon change.Ever since the i8 debuted, people have asked or begged BMW to develop a more potent version of the car. Something with an M3/M4 engine would do quite nicely. Sadly, BMW has stated that it will not pursue something to that nature. Thankfully, German tuner Gabura Racing Technologies is taking it upon themselves to build the car BMW refuses to build.Using the 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 engine from the new BMW M6, and with some light massaging of the engine bay, the i8 will get an 800 horsepower heart it"s always deserved. Sadly, there wasn"t enough room behind the driver, so the engine has been moved to the front, although we"re not sure how that works either.The car, completely finished, will be shown off soon. Until then, GRT has released a few photos of what the exterior looks like now, and in all respects, it looks identical to the original.Chime in with your thoughts on the forum. >>Tags: BMW, Custom, i8, supercar, Swaps, twin turbo

Date: December 14, 2015
More of this article on the LS1 Tech website

ID: 771

Back