General Motors No Longer Building Hybrid Cars for the U.S.

RSS_Auto_Poster

Written by Brett Foote
16615ads

Forgot your Password?

Date written: August 15, 2019

More of this article on the LS1 Tech website

ID: 16615

Interesting.
I’m sure the USA can provide sufficient electricity to power a nation of electric cars but I understand Britain would need 9 more nuclear power stations to satisfy demand if we all switched now. Of course, we could always import more electricity but Russia is increasingly hostile & Europe would rip us off £££, trade deal or not.
Then the same Green Party who hate our petrol/diesel powered cars would be up in arms about the environmental damage of nuclear power even though we know that Solar, wind, hydro combined would not be enough electricity. Not too mention the ‘carbon’ footprint of new electric cars is huge.
I’m fairly sure that electric is not the future. I think it sits with Hydrogen.
Hydrogen is a fuel that combines the convenience of petrol/diesel without needing more power stations, avoids 40 min recharge stops that damage the batteries (vs a slow charge) as it would be as fast as filling a conventional fuel tank and has zero emissions. Like an LPG conversion most existing cars could be converted to use it.
So why is this fuel not catching on?
Well if you start a media campaign about the damage to the environment of petrol/diesel and worry/shame enough people into accepting change you can then charge them lots of money (tax) for not changing and the auto manufacturers get to charge you lots of money for an acceptable transport. Either way it’s more money into the governments pocket.
About the only certainty is the petrol/diesel supply will run out, so the sooner a real alternative is found the more fuel there is for genuine petrol heads!

And none of this even begins to touch the rare and expensive commodity called cobalt that is mined using child labour, yet exists in every iPhone or Android phone and also in every connected electric vehicle. How long before this is socially unacceptable?

Last edited:
Back