Fuel Additives

Scooby

Hi does anyone here use them ( not for increased performance) thinking long term storage to protect carbs- fuel lines - tanks etc...
Would be interested in people's point of view.
Cheers
Scooby

How long are we talking as might be better to drain tank as fuel goes off/stail and are for now as ethenol in it so might or might not effect rubber seals if off for a few months just start the car and run upto temp and if possible move it as well so brake don't seize on, you can buy fuel additive from demon tweks that combat the ethenol effect on the older parts of car,s as said depends on how long you plan on storage,

Hi thanks for the replying I hope to use it at some point over the winter as said I'll prob put some form of additive for tank and such...

The guys in the States use a product called Staybil.
You might see if it's available.
Personally, I fill the tank to the brim to prevent condensation forming above the fuel line, and the run the engine to temperature every 2-3 weeks (25-30 mins). If you can support the car on stands to keep the tyres off the floor to prevent flat spots BUT... support the car on the suspension not the chassis. If the suspension is left dangling at full droop you risk damaging the shock absorber internals and possibly tearing the control arm bushes.
More info than your question but if you are storing a car log term it's worth noting....
If you do use a fuel stabiliser, remember to disconnect the battery, top up the antifreeze and perhaps store some silica gel in the car to absorb moisture and prevent damp.

Good advice...ive heard of that staybill.... as said I will drive the motor over the winter...so hopefully will keep things moving around.
Funny really I used to keep old motor ( a Charger) in storage for 5 months over the winter and never gave it a thought until I started having carb probs last year...the secondarys were well clogged up.
:thumb:

If it's 2-3 weeks at a time wouldn't worry to much as people leave there car's outside,on the drive in the garage when they go away on holiday

Back