Fog lights legal to use??

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Highway code, rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Highway code, rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

So no, they are not legal to use during good visibility.
People have received 3 points and a fine for having fog lights on. Basically its wasting police time for motorists that cant find the fog light off switch. Perhaps a more hefty fine would deter people, or a driver awareness course. They seem to have them on a some sort of fashion accessory.

Some cars do know where their fog light switch it. One came up behind me on the slip road coming off on the B2150, he/she had fog lights on, so i stuck my rear one on, after a few seconds he turned his off and flashed me, so I turned off my rear one. So someone people just forget they are on. Majority think it looks pretty, its pretty blinding if you are the car in front. Especially the Nissan Joke when that comes around a dark corner with its 6 blooming lights on, I couldn't see the road at all, luckily it was a road I knew.

OH man.......these people just infuriate me!!!

No need to fine them.....give me a baseball bat and I'll smash their stupid lights, and maybe batter some sense into these morons!!

I think its just plain stupidity. When its raining you turn on the wipers - you don't leave them on when the rain has stopped, so why do people leave their high intensity lights on when visibility improves.
My personal opinion is that the dilution of the gene pool has reached a new low.