Dedicated IP address

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
During today the IP address of the website will change. This could create a little downtime while servers around the work learn the new address where the website is located.

We do have a choice of time for this change over. I'm thinking around now, as then I can remedy any small issues that come from it, rather than doing it over night. During the day is better than in the evening as more people visit in the evening.

So lets see how it goes.

Still no news on when this will happen. I've updated the support ticket, so waiting to hear back. This dedicated IP address is part of the SSL certificate. Google are favoring websites with SSL, so hopefully it will keep visitors coming in.

Anyway, no further updates yet.

Well didn't quite go to plan and been off line longer than expected.Firstly had to update the name server records, and then had to update the DNS, however the name servers looked correct, they were actually wrong. Which ment another 2 hours or propagation delays, and where i didn't get in from work will 8pm, it left it in limbo for a bit.A few countries can view the website, the London server hasn't updated yet. I'm bouncing off a proxy server in the Netherlands to write this post.It should all start to fall into place soon.....

Bouncing off a poxy servant is never a good thing :heh:.

I guess with so much online stuff these days there must be millions of servers out there begging for attention. I'm probably talking rubbish 'cause Iv'e no idea what your talking about!

Yes the servers are big and in large in big air condition rooms did all the temp building suppies. when they built the toshiba site in stevenage massive site. got a call out to Lloyds bank servers gone down in brighton when we had the bad storm a few months back the rain had got inside the air con unit on the roof coused the main circuit breaker to shut down and whitch in turn shut down the main air con board the the room the size of a trippe garage had no AC and they were starting to over heat the IT guys on site were panicing managed to find the main circuit breaker in the under ground carpark reinstated and left of the damaged AC unit off,

Still cant view the website from home. So looks like the part where the server tells all the other servers where it is now located hasn't fully worked :( it shouldn't take this long, many people cant view the website. I've updated the support ticket, so hopefully they can prod something to get it working(any quick!). I'm still bouncing from a server in another country.

Working ok for me - didn't notice any downtime either ;)

I couldn't get on late yesterday afternoon from work, but it worked from home all evening. Working from work now too.

So looks like the part where the server tells all the other servers where it is now located hasn't fully worked :( it shouldn't take this long,

Global DNS updates can take 24hrs to propogate in my experience and even then some smaller ISP routers only update once a week. Fortunately the majority are much quicker!

Yes they say to allow up to 24hrs, although most of the time it has happened in 2 hours before. I can't get on it from work either, Thats on BT Internet, home is on Virgin, it won't work from there. I see many people have got on here. So hopefully its only a matter of time until all regions update. I see your on Virgin Media Clare & Dave, so I guess we are using different DNS servers. I've tried O2 mobile too with no luck, so many DNS locations still need to propagate.Glad to see a lot of people managing to get online. Changing the IP address was meant to be a simple swap with minimal downtime. I guess sometime the simple things doesn't always go to plan.I'm on a proxy server in Germany at the moment.

Are you on Virgin fibre or Virgin DSL?
TBH I can't remember if I'm using Virgins DNS servers or if I configured the router for open or google DNS.

I get 158mb on speedtest.net, so it must be fibre to the green box next to the house, although only seen twin coax coming into the house. I may have changed the DNS on the lappa to Google, but not done it in the router itself. I'll check again when I get home, it may have updated by now.

hummm, interesting, still not got access to the website from home, so modified the windows 'hosts' file to force me to the new IP (5.77.47.105 www.solent-renegades.co.uk). So its not totally resolved yet, but will be, just a case of waiting.

Last edited:
My next challenge although not too urgent is SSL. Not fully adjusted yet. Basically we can support encrypted pages. However not all content on the page is fully secured as it comes from other sources, so having to adjust code. Basically https://www.Solent-renegades.co.UK give you an encrypted page which is faborable to Google search engine apparently. Perhaps one to get working at the weekend, no down time with that. :)