New ticking noise from the TA, Sept 2016

Well went out to tinker with the car. got a chance to use my new awesome tool set.
attachment.php

So going o put a pair or rockers back on, going to go for the more difficult side. This is the side the rocker broke on. I want to find out if it was something that caused the rocker to break or just time for the rocker to fail.
attachment.php

It may look hard to get too but its not all that bad.

Temoving the coil packers just needs a 10mm socket, 4 bolts holding it on.
attachment.php

Disconnect the HT loads and the main coil pack control block.

Next to take off is the rocker cover. This is 4 x 8mm blots. Simples, and two vacuum tubes to pop off.
attachment.php

cover off, and we see the space for two rockers we took off the other day.
attachment.php

Screw the pair of rockers on which were taken off from the other side, as suspect lifter on that side.
attachment.php

Just a 6mm Allen key needed to do these up. I put on some temporary thread lock too, and torqued to spec, having to rotate the crank with a 23mm socket to get it in the right place to tighten things down.

So now its time to fire up. It starts fine, and idles a tad high, but i guess there is no compression in one cylinder. and its gonna be in a limp home mode. Took it out for a drive around the block, well ended up near work, a road almost unused, so I can leave the car running and walk around it, as don't want to annoy neighbours.
Idling high, but this is doing be a favour on oil pressure, as it seems very stable.
[video=youtube_share;I_7123AYsRM]https://youtu.be/I_7123AYsRM[/video]

Having a listen around the car, there is ticking under the hood. Its the coil pack arching on the unused cylinder.
[video=youtube_share;zGmSF3On89E]https://youtu.be/zGmSF3On89E[/video]
Its not a good idea to touch the body work, that certainly made me jump, should have worn my wellies. Anyway, disconnected this coil pack from the wiring loom instead of disconnecting the HT end. The reason I didn't want it to be connected to the plug is i didn't know if it would do the plug damage, as it would never get wet with fuel.

How do you think it sounds? This is running on 7.
[video=youtube_share;n3cJxwB4X8c]https://youtu.be/n3cJxwB4X8c[/video]
Doesn't sound too bad, and drives fine. Although only been driving it on tick over. 1500rpm is plenty to pull out of junctions and drive with.

New rockers fitted, so running back on 8 again now.

The bottom end has done well to last this long. On start up good oil pressure 40-50psi on idle. Once warm this bounces between 0 and 80psi, like pulses around every revolution on the engine. Some low end noises, which a mechanic had a listen and thinks it would be the main bearings. This seems to explain the noise and the oil pressure.

So engine out job!.

buy a create engine sorry great engine or do i mean a CRATE engine lol,

All Chevy engines are great. :noidea:

Well I drove it to work today, last time ever at this workplace as we are moving early next year to a smaller office. It's a short journey, engine temp gets 1/4 of the way. So good oil pressure all the way, and the only engine noise that could be heard went parked up is something resembling an exhaust leak.

Just got a rough quote of around $1200 to ship the complete short block over. Nice shiny forged internals 383ci. Its growing on me. An extra 600cc. So could be an extra 50hp ish. 489hp at the mo / 346 * 383. So around 541hp, and more tq. :)

I have a new oil pump to fit. Waiting for the warmer weather.

Got my eye on a new short block, still LS1, but 383ci, all forged too. Its only funds that is stopping me on this.
Lingenfelter LS1, LS6 383 CID Short Block Engine Assembly: Lingenfelter Performance Engineerin

The reason for sticking with LS1, is that there will be no wiring change, even changing to LS2, which won't benefit capacity wise(over the 383Ls1) but would require some wiring changes, like a reluctor wheel having a different amount of teeth.

But if I had the funds for the short block, then I could choose low compression, and bolt this baby on....
LS1 Magna Charger TVS Supercharger Install - Chevy High Performanc
0901chp_01_z%2bls1_magna_charger_tvs_supercharger_install%2b2004_ls1engine.jpg

Last edited:
How about ditching the LSx engines and dropping in a crate 572. Put a cowl induction hood on to clear the carb/FI throttle body and have instant 600+ HP with old school big block sound.
I don't think the old 10bolt rear would last to long so that s60 would soon be on your shopping list.

Well been driving the Trans-Am to work a couple of times, the ticking noise is there, like a short push rod sound. Nothing to major. Well anyway, Really needed to take it a little further, took it to mothers, she really enjoys the sound of the Trans-Am and it may be the last time she hears it. Its worth risking further damage on the Trans-am just to know she has smiled when she heard it coming up the drive way.

Got it home, the engine was up to temperature by this point. Ticking got a lot louder, still from the top end. Bent push rod/collapsed lifter or lobe missing of the cam shaft type sound.
[video=youtube;wFnq6FsOYGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFnq6FsOYGw[/video]

Time to get some parts on order, my main problem is spare funds. Really could do with new push rods, lifters, head gaskets and changing the pump at least. would like a new cam too. Would really like a complete short block, but that's out of my reach for a little while.

Sound in the engine bay
[video=youtube;2CaQv-HweYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaQv-HweYE[/video]

Well off to America on sunday, hopefully can grab some parts. Email CompCams and WS6 Store to see if I can get things delivered in 6 days, well no answer back from either of them.

If there is a chance I can get bits for the car I have brought a new packing case the length of the engine block, so can pick up a cam shaft or head gaskets.

Last edited:
Back