Windows 8 on its way out.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Just came across this article:-Saying Goodbye To Windows 8 | TechCrunch

Looking after the computers at work, and a few other companies, I keep advising to stick to Windows7. However they brought a couple of new computers, and of couse they only come with Windows 8. The big problem with Windows 8, it is designed for the mobile market, like a phone or a tablet, not a full PC in an office environment. I think Microsoft made a big mistake rolling this out on to PC's. If you want to add a new printer, that didn't automatically pop up when it plugged in you have to jump though hoops to go being the scenes, as well as setting a fixed IP address if you wanted too. All the configuration stuff is hidden away. I guess that's good for the end user if nothing goes wrong, but nothing runs smooth. Also the lack of a start menu is a big draw back in my opinion.
I'm glad Microsoft have listened to the many people who also say Windows 8 isn't fit for use apart from on tablets and phones, and they are going to bring out Windows 9 with more of a fell like Windows 7 :) I think they can put down Windows8 and a big evolution mistake. I suppose you gotta try something different now and again to see if it takes off.

sarah

Club Photographer
On computers yes, it's not great. But on tablets and phones it works so well. I can't see they'll ditch this format for mobiles and tablets.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I don't think they will ditch it for mobile devices as that's what its made for, they are ditching it for PC as its not really fit for purpose.

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
But it's a piece of cake to make Windows 8 look identical to Windows 7.
I agree Windows 8 is much more suited to a mobile device out the box, but Microsoft is unlikely to repeat the XP vs Vista scenario and end support for the later product first. Therefore, a business that is likely to expect maximum return on its investment should be buying Windows 8.