When a Mini is no longer a Mini

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
How something that cant park in a parking space can be called a Mini I dont know, certainl;y not wear the 'Cooper' bage which symbolises sporty and agile.
86269242_480085419546893_4158996431069249536_o.jpg

I think the new colloquialism for the larger Teutonic imposter is a "Germini". I've got a proper one still "awaiting restoration" from the last year they still actually had carburettors.

I think the new colloquialism for the larger Teutonic imposter is a "Germini". I've got a proper one still "awaiting restoration" from the last year they still actually had carburettors.
Absolutely!..and ditto! We have an 85 Mayfair in the garage also awaiting resto.
As I think Jeremy Clarkson once said, the BMW "mini" is... "a better car, but not as important".
To me it, is one of the worst cases of stealing a brand name to make sales that I've ever seen. Compared to the original they are completely characterless. I always groan when I see them parked up among classic ones at Mini meets! lol

How something that cant park in a parking space can be called a Mini I dont know, certainl;y not wear the 'Cooper' bage which symbolises sporty and agile.
View attachment 159162
I agree. I know that the classic Mini could never compete with today's crash safety standards, but BMW do seem to be slapping the Mini badge on what sometimes appear to be SUV's :LOL:

Absolutely!..and ditto! We have an 85 Mayfair in the garage also awaiting resto.
As I think Jeremy Clarkson once said, the BMW "mini" is... "a better car, but not as important".
To me it, is one of the worst cases of stealing a brand name to make sales that I've ever seen. Compared to the original they are completely characterless. I always groan when I see them parked up among classic ones at Mini meets! lol

One of the garages in Portsmouth has a 1990 Mini Mayfair up for sale at the moment. The price? A shade under £10k! They've also got a 1965 Corvette for a shade under £60k as well. They've had both a while! ?

One of the garages in Portsmouth has a 1990 Mini Mayfair up for sale at the moment. The price? A shade under £10k! They've also got a 1965 Corvette for a shade under £60k as well. They've had both a while! ?

Wow! They are creeping up in value but that seems a tad steep. Looks very clean though.
I used to own the Mini pictured below back in about 1984. I swapped it for a MK1 Granada 2.5GXL, owned it for a couple of years before selling it for £200 in the bargain basement of the local paper! lol. I couldn't afford to buy it now!! :LOL:
IMG_20200208_203318.jpg

Wow! They are creeping up in value but that seems a tad steep. Looks very clean though.
I used to own the Mini pictured below back in about 1984. I swapped it for a MK1 Granada 2.5GXL, owned it for a couple of years before selling it for £200 in the bargain basement of the local paper! lol. I couldn't afford to buy it now!! :LOL:
View attachment 159166

That's mine, 1990 1275. Last year they actually had carbs and before they ruined them by replacing the engines with electronic ignition. Mind you, the MG Turbo Metro (which was immaculate) I PXed for it is probably even rarer now. At the same time I was looking for it I also test drove a factory ERA Turbo mini. They go for stupid money now. Really wish I'd bought it, still regret it now!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 2
That's mine, 1990 1275. Last year they actually had carbs and before they ruined them by replacing the engines with electronic ignition. Mind you, the MG Turbo Metro (which was immaculate) I PXed for it is probably even rarer now. At the same time I was looking for it I also test drove a factory ERA Turbo mini. They go for stupid money now. Really wish I'd bought it, still regret it now!
Nice!! They are a British Icon for sure. That's spooky, we actually saw a Metro today! First time for years I think! It was parked in a driveway up near Farnborough. Indeed, they do seem to be far rarer than Minis now.

Nice!! They are a British Icon for sure. That's spooky, we actually saw a Metro today! First time for years I think! It was parked in a driveway up near Farnborough. Indeed, they do seem to be far rarer than Minis now.

That's ironic! There's a garage in Lymington that actually has two for sale, a 1.1 & 1.4, both immaculate and "potential show winners" for just under £3k. The ones you certainly never see anymore are the hot hatch MG versions. My MG Turbo was a great car.

That's ironic! There's a garage in Lymington that actually has two for sale, a 1.1 & 1.4, both immaculate and "potential show winners" for just under £3k. The ones you certainly never see anymore are the hot hatch MG versions. My MG Turbo was a great car.
Ah, cool. I think I may have found one of those on the interweb. A Rover Metro? Same body shell I think but more modern trim inside and a Rover K Series engine if I remember correctly. I had a Rover one. They were still fun to drive but I preferred the original ones with the A series engine like a Mini. And yeah, I liked the MG Metro Turbo too. Never got to drive one sadly.

I had one of thoese Rover metro things for a couple of weeks in that odd purple colour they had, it was a loan car while the TA was in for repairs in April 2003.
1582276856505.png

Last edited:
Back