Switching to Shell Energy

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I use the Shell Go app, so I get money back after a certain amount of fill ups. May not be a huge amount, but after 10 fill ups I got £2.50 ish off, plus you get free coffee. Anyway from being on that scheme I got an email about Shell supplying Gas/Electric to your house. https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/energy its 100% renewable too. I am currently with iSupply for both gas and electric as they had better tariffs than British Gas which is who I was with before. What is surprising is the amount you pay per day even if you don't use it, like Gas is something like 24p per day, which soon mounts up over the year.

Anyway I like the thought of 100% renewable energy, helps me think i am doing my bit, even though the T/A produces vapour trails. I was happy to pay a little extra per year to switch to Shell. I generated an Excel document, of the daily charges and cost per unit, along with the amount of units i have used in the last 12 months. It turns out I'm paying around £700 per year, and Shell will be £650 per year. So I have applied to switch.

Be interesting to see when the price hikes come in. Our experience with energy suppliers is that they use a preferential rate to hook you then price hike whilst your in contract. Usually ends up more expensive and you switch again.

Its a fixed rate, but only till November 2020, I guess it will go up after then. I'll see what deals are around before then, and perhaps switch again.

Fixed rate just means that the rate is capped but only up to a point. If the price of gas jumped by 100% they would pass it on under some clause or other.
Watch hidden admin costs too.
Hope it works for you.

Be interesting to see when the price hikes come in. Our experience with energy suppliers is that they use a preferential rate to hook you then price hike whilst your in contract. Usually ends up more expensive and you switch again.
That is exactly my feelings on how it works, be it engergy, car insurance, broadband, whatever. Unfortunately, we live in what is becoming an unfairly deceptive world...and companies seem to get away with it. It just upholds the old saying that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is lol.

Switch almost complete.

It would be nice to do away with gas. I know some houses have. Heating may cost more with electric storage heaters, however you pay 18pence per day for gas even is you use no units at all. that's £66 per year for just having a gas line without even using it.

We’ve had a house that was heated by electric storage heaters only. Never again. We were never warm.
Gas central heating all the way.

Something else to consider is to fit Solar panels. That's what I did years ago and they have been generating more electricity that my household uses over a year, every year! If you have an imersion heater you can use the electrical power to heat your hot water too. Helps in your pocket and helps the environment too.

Back