New Citroen My Ami Cargo compact courier van unveiled

• Thread starter Luke Wilkinson
  • Start date
L

Luke Wilkinson

Citroen has launched a modified version of its electric Ami city car, designed specifically for use as a compact courier van for the urban landscape.

It’s called the Citroen My Ami Cargo and it’ll go on sale in France this June, with prices starting from €6,490 (around £5,600), including a €900 subsidy from the French government.

Best electric cars on sale now

From the outside, the Ami Cargo looks identical to its passenger-carrying sibling, save for the business branding and some undecorated steel wheels for the most basic models.

Inside, Citroen has removed the standard Ami’s passenger seat and fitted a storage pod in its place, which is separated from the driver by a solid partition. The cargo compartment has a capacity of 260 litres and can carry a payload of 140kg.

When coupled with the rest of the Ami’s new interior storage cubbies, Citroen says the Cargo has a maximum capacity of 400 litres. That’s slightly more space than you get from the boot of the fourth-generation Skoda Fabia.

Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo - side

Citroen My Ami Cargo - side
Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo - door

Citroen My Ami Cargo - door
Citroen My Ami Cargo - front

Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo

Citroen My Ami Cargo
Citroen My Ami Cargo - rear

Citroen My Ami Cargo - rear

The cargo area also has a few tie-down points and a height-adjustable floor, which allows the driver to transport items up to 1.2 metres long. Mounted on top of the box is a modular hinged shelf, which can hold up to 40kg and double as a mobile desk.

Citroen has also added an extra secure storage bin at the rear of the cabin, which it says is designed to keep valuables such as smartphones, sunglasses or wallets out of sight.

Buyers can also spec a few optional extras, such as door nets, branded floor mats, extra storage compartments and a smartphone mount for the dashboard.

Like the standard Ami, the Cargo uses a 5.5kWh battery pack, which feeds an 8bhp electric motor. Top speed stands at 28mph, and Citroen says it’ll cover 47 miles on a single charge.

Charging the battery can only be done via a standard three-pin plug. However, due to the diminutive size of the battery pack, it only takes around three hours to reach 100 percent capacity.

Citroen is still evaluating whether there’s enough demand for the Ami to be brought to the UK but, if it does ever make it across the Channel, there’s a chance this new Cargo variant will come with it. However, both would likely only be available in left-hand drive.

Now check out our video review of the Citroen Ami

Continue reading...