MSD Coil Packs

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
msd_coil_pack.jpg
The stock coil packs are very good and have been known to last over 200k miles. Its always nice to stick a fresh set of something on the vehicle. The LS engines use 8 coil packs.

Their blurb on it
MSD Ignition's Multiple Spark Coils (MSC) will fit in place of the stock GM LS coils and connect directly to the factory connectors. Once installed, you'll have the power and performance of higher energy sparks, crowned with MSD's multiple spark discharge. Increased spark energy and voltage, along with multiple spark capabilities, help improve the combustion process of the fuel mixture to create an efficient burn. This results in improved throttle response, smooth idle and quick starts, plus increased high rpm performance!

After doing some forum reading I found some rather nagative comments towards the product:-
Are the MSD coil packs any better than the factory LS1? Worth buying for L92 build? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

From what I hear and have read, they are not worth the price, on any build. Plus I think they're ugly.

i bet if you didnt know if they were or wernt on the car you would never know. the stock coils are more than enough for the task IMO

We have taken out 2 set of MSD coils out of builds done at my sponsor's shop. Went back to stock coil packs. No problems. We have used LS1 coils in a Mustang, Toyota MR2 and numerous other turbo builds. All with no problems.

The MSD coils I have heard are used in FI applications. They help burn off extra fuel as they are multiple spark per singal.

I can't vouch if they will make your MPG go up or whatever because I went to an extremely cold plug at the same time for nitrous. I didn't loose any MPG though you think I would with a plug like that.

It seems the negative comments are more related to its not worth the money to swap out stock coils for MSD. however if my coils are getting old, and I want to stick in a fresh set, then I need to spend money anyway. GM ones are around $64 each, MSD are $80 ish each. I'll be buying a pack of 8, so a little money saved.

Do they look nice or what?
msd-coil-pack-lineup.jpg

Do they offer a performance increase? If not then this is one of those times that stock is good enough. Plus the red might clash with that lovely Robins egg blue engine block.
Save the cash, and go stock. There are other areas I would prioritise over coil packs.

Do they offer a performance increase? If not then this is one of those times that stock is good enough. Plus the red might clash with that lovely Robins egg blue engine block.
Save the cash, and go stock. There are other areas I would prioritise over coil packs.

Fuel rails are red, and dont look too bad. I always think of MSD as a very good make, they do aftermarket ignition for soo many applications. The stock coils are usually really good, but mine are probably getting tired. The MSD Multispark is meant to improve ignition and offer better performance at idle and higher RPM's.
MSD claim it is a performance increase, yet people on forums say they are no better than stock.

I will also be complimenting it with then Granatelli wires and new injectors. MSD do offer black ones too, there are also Accel ones (I have had a bad experience with Accel in the past on my 3rd gen)

It's your £££, but if the stock coils are good and have lasted this long and the MSD coils don't offer a performance increase why spend the extra cash? Just replace with stock.
Put the difference towards those BMR coils springs to improve Ride & handling.

Agree with A/T ref coil paks must be feeling unwell lol.

if the coil has a higher output voltage it will give a bigger spark only if the plug gaps are bigger

I think the biggest advantage comes from those that produce multiple sparks on the same firing cycle for more complete combustion.

thr multispark is what attracted me to the MSD's.

I brought a main HT lead for my firebird. Went between could and center of dizzy, it's has some rattle type thing on it that at was meant to produce a multispark.

Well I am still tempted with the MSD multi spark. The place I'm getting them from have ordered in the HT leads, when they have them, they will contact me. I will also ask their opinion on them. At the moment it is on my 'go with' list.

These are on their way. Currently in UK customs, where this is about the 10th day now. Still they are not far. I will need to do a wiring modification by the looks of it to get the most out of them.

The MSD coil packs can draw a little more current. So it is best supply them with good stable power. Now I@m happy to do soldering, and locate capacitors near the coils. I can take the coil pack assembly off the car, and really make a good job of this.

MSD Ignition Coil Pack Wiring Harnesses | Coils | Ignition | 98-02 Camaro/Firebird | WS6store.com
Upgrade harness supplies additional battery voltage to the coils to correct check engine light issue. Includes harness, fuse holder, fuse connector, and ring lug.

These MSD ignition coil pack wiring harnesses are designed to connect your ignition coil pack to your aftermarket or OEM ignition. They can be used on both carbureted and fuel injected engines, making them an excellent choice for any application.

It's basically a relay(s) which works on ignition live to supply power.

This is a how a power gets to the coil packs.
ls1_coilpack_wiring_harness__73192.1440712408.1280.1280.jpg

The connector to each coil packs. Supplied by 12V switched(ignition live) supply.
ls1_coil_schematic.jpg

So I want this 12V switch supply to activate a relay, that switches power through thicker wires direct from a good power source.

Seems sensible. Many aftermarket fuel pumps do the same. Just be careful you aren't making your car easier to steal by providing power to circuits that a thief could utilize.

Just been choosing some relays, I have an account with an electronics supplier, they have some 30A automotive relays. I know the current will be well below that. The think I like about them is the cost and easy to terminate. The activation of the relay will still be from the ignition live, and soldered in place. I may even put the whole relay in a shrink sleeve, so if it does need servicing in future I can cut away the shrink sleeve. I wonder if there are spare relay holes in the fuse box for a relay and fuse, and I wonder if it would be any use. Yes good point about theft ability.

I'll create some posts of the modified coil pack loom.

What about solid state relays? Usually smaller.....

Yes will consider them too. Also some waterproof connectors so I can unplug the wiring easily, should the engine ever need to come out again, or even the removal of the coil pack assembly.

They not too far from being here now. Look like they have been on a long journey. Leaving the states, took 5 days to land in the UK. Then 5 days in customs.

15/8/2017 8:41 International Hub Released from customs
15/8/2017 8:40 International Hub Revised Customs charges raised
14/8/2017 13:30 International Hub Customs charges raised
10/8/2017 19:56 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance
10/8/2017 19:01 International Hub Arrived in the UK
5/8/2017 16:12
Delivery Agent - CHICAGO…+Delivery Agent - CHICAGO
Despatched to the UK
5/8/2017 15:53
Delivery Agent - CHICAGO…+Delivery Agent - CHICAGO
Prepared for despatch to the UK
4/8/2017 21:28
Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA…+Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA
Collected

You could gut the remains of the AC box on the firewall and hide all the relays and wiring in there with a simple connection for the entire fuel injection and coil pack harness to plug into...
Nice and neat.

Parcel has arrived, well I went to go and collect it from the Solent Depot near Fareham. Just under £200 customs, I was expecting £200-£250ish.

IMAG7600.jpg

IMAG7599.jpg

IMAG7598.jpg

IMAG7597.jpg

IMAG7596.jpg

IMAG7595.jpg

IMAG7594.jpg

IMAG7593.jpg

IMAG7592.jpg

IMAG7591.jpg

IMAG7590.jpg

IMAG7589.jpg

I wish. Selsey Show tomorrow morning, Waterlooville Fete Sunday morning, Southsea Cruise sunday evening.

I want to spend time doing the coil wiring. So I will order the modification parts, take off the two sets of coil packs and looms, modify them in my shed. Perhaps do this in evenings next week. I do have a show Thursday evening, so car needs to be drivable for then.

Back