Motorsport Picture of the Week......

Stephen CA

Core Member
Another random thread I thought would work.....

No people (or Camaros) were hurt in the making of this photo

image.jpeg

Weekend before last, he was lucky that day, nothing broken, just a few hours in hospital for a checkup. Skidded on its roof then caught fire too.

Weekend before last, he was lucky that day, nothing broken, just a few hours in hospital for a checkup. Skidded on its roof then caught fire too.

It in the BBC best sporting pics for last week. It's an incredible image, although you can never try and take pictures like that.

I've never seen actual NASCAR racing live, but I have seen some of the cars. They are a big old car to be flying through the air!! lol

We got the channel to watch it, some States its a bit late, so record it to watch the next day. All the cars are effectively the same now with a body shell stock on it to barely resemble a Ford, Toyota or chevy.

We got the channel to watch it, some States its a bit late, so record it to watch the next day. All the cars are effectively the same now with a body shell stock on it to barely resemble a Ford, Toyota or chevy.

Indeed, a pure race car and bearing no resemblance to Anything on the street.

Yeah, very true. In the early days they used to be built from normal cars, but for many years they have been based on what's called a Space Frame design.. basically a roll cage on suspension and wheels. As you say, the body (or sheet metal as the Yanks call it) are just panels attached to the outside for appearance and aerodynamics. I'm pretty sure the "skin" has to comply with a specified size and silhouette to keep them as equal as possible. As I say, they are pretty large beasts! And as you'd imagine, they sound awesome! There are always a few in action at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed.

It is kind of true, but my memory says that ina straight line it’s fine but the moment you even hint at left it really goes left. The sound and feel was awesome but following the pace car that closely is a very un-natural act especially at speeds over 3 figures.

And let’s not forget that there is one right hand track in the NASCAR calendar although I don’t recall which one!
  • Watkins Glen, seven turns, five right turns.
  • Sonoma, 12 turns, seven right turns.
  • Road America, 14 turns, eight right turns.
  • Mid-Ohio, 13 turns, eight right turns.
  • Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, 10 turns, six right turns.

Many of the tracks have an oval shape, and then detour around the middle creating right hand bends. I don't know of an oval track with only right turns.

It is kind of true, but my memory says that ina straight line it’s fine but the moment you even hint at left it really goes left. The sound and feel was awesome but following the pace car that closely is a very un-natural act especially at speeds over 3 figures.
Excellent!!! That's just been added to my bucket list! lol

• Watkins Glen, seven turns, five right turns.
  • Sonoma, 12 turns, seven right turns.
  • Road America, 14 turns, eight right turns.
  • Mid-Ohio, 13 turns, eight right turns.
  • Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, 10 turns, six right turns.

Many of the tracks have an oval shape, and then detour around the middle creating right hand bends. I don't know of an oval track with only right turns.
Cheers for listing them, I didn't know there were so many, just thought it was almost all ovals. Presumably they have to alter the setup for the non ovals?

I recall Malc said he done it, and because the tracks is so wide you don't realise what speed you are doing.
Did you get near the 200mph?

No where near 200mph. I don’t think the tourist cars go that fast, but for me tailgating the pace car at any speed is very scary!

No where near 200mph. I don’t think the tourist cars go that fast, but for me tailgating the pace car at any speed is very scary!
Could you over take the pace car, give him a wave as you pass and show him how its done?

Could you over take the pace car, give him a wave as you pass and show him how its done?

Give it a go!!
I can see the news headlines now.....
Brit kills him self at Richard Petty raceway, Orlando Fl whilst showing off.
Richard Petty raceway to close as a result.

Back