Lockdown - your estimate

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
Boris announced the lock-down last Monday.
It’s initially a 3 week period.
Do you think it will be extended?
If so, when do you think the restrictions will be lifted?

My best guess at the moment is late May / early June barring any social unrest that develops in the meantime.

I think even if things are lifted in a months time things won't be back to normal for another 6 months.
Best to go for a lock down longer than needed. If we come out of lock down now and it spreads again then this lock down was a waste of time.
Perhaps the lock down should continue until no further cases have been found for a oerios of time, so in effect a variable length lock dien depending on cases.
I'd say atleast May before things are lifted.

I would agree on late May early June for the current lockdown. But if it has to be extended then so be it. We don't want a recurrence.
They are comparing us with Italy and are saying that we are about 2 weeks behind them. But I don't think it's that simple. I believe the virus will spread at different rates in different countries due to their respective cultures. For example, the Italian way of life seems to be more oriented towards large family and social gatherings than ours, which I think may have helped the transmission of the virus. Also, some cultures are more accustomed to huggy, kiss on both cheeks several times type greetings.
Based on the above, I don't think (and sincerely hope) that we won't be hit as hard as some of our European neighbours sadly have been. In short, I believe our peak will be flatter.
I am hoping that we are mature enough as a nation for there not to be any significant civil unrest.

People like the ones in the video below are not helping with containing the virus. They dont apear to have gotten the memo of social distancing. How come they are still going to work?

true,
Had call from tennant saying rcd had tripped due to light bulb had blown out of lamp holder he is 80 years old and cannot reach fusebox to reset so over 30 mile trip to attend told office he is self isolating oap with no power is emegency ok , got to site no reply on knocking at door or ringing mobile number next door told me he has gone out WTF waited 15mins incase he returned never did so left no access card office understanablly were no to please,

true,
Had call from tennant saying rcd had tripped due to light bulb had blown out of lamp holder he is 80 years old and cannot reach fusebox to reset so over 30 mile trip to attend told office he is self isolating oap with no power is emegency ok , got to site no reply on knocking at door or ringing mobile number next door told me he has gone out WTF waited 15mins incase he returned never did so left no access card office understanablly were no to please,
WTF!! Poor old chap. But why did he go out if he's supposed to be self isolating?! Unless it was for urgent medical reasons maybe. Family, friends or neighbours should be getting supplies so he can stay home. Someone of his age is unlikely to survive Coronavirus.

true,
Maybe he could find a long stick to reach the RCB.
Did he do out to keep a safe distance from any visitors,

He phoned for attendance and help then goes out crazy.. I had another call a few weeks back couple had moved into flat said fridge wasn't working I walked into kitchen saw the switch fused spru was off next to double socket above kitchen work top and below was the fridge yes you guess it the spur was turned off. Turned on fridge was working they said they didn't know. As you say Will. WTF.

We have a week away booked in North Devon 6th June, don't think were going to make it, the Holiday company seem to have things sort of under control, when this all kicked off they sent us a form asking us if we would like to postpone the Holiday, if the owner of the place agreed, or even take it over to next year, again if the owner agreed, we used the link that took us to a form to fill in, but as our Holiday was from the 6th June we could not use it as they reckoned everything would be ok from 5th June, we have tried phoning, and sent e mail, no reply, worryingly the form asked if we had insurance, as we have only paid a deposit the insurance gets taken when you pay in full, but at that time it would not cover cancellations, we are concerned if we ask for our deposit back they will refuse, sort of a catch 22 situation. I realise in the great scheme of things its a very minor problem, but I wish firms would be more transparent.

We too have a holiday booked for last week in June/beginning July. Not even thought about whether to cancel yet or not - again only deposit paid so perhaps might hold off for the moment :). Good luck with whichever way you decide to take it :)

It will probably continue to be extended due to the people not staying away from others. wonder how many will head for the beach this weekend if its nice weather. Will a minority ruin it for all?

There will always be them that will spoil it for others, they do not realise their actions make the lockdown longer for everyone, let's hope the police stop them before they get any where near beaches tourist attractions etc

Well, we have another 3 weeks of lockdown.
I hope all those idiots that have been ignoring the lockdown are happy?
More people will die than would otherwise have occurred and from this forums perspective more shows will be cancelled.
I’ve got cabin fever as much as the next person but we have to beat this.

On the plus side, not being able to go out is giving me a chance to get through the list of chores.

Would have been our show at the farmhouse this weekend.

I think the government are doing well to keep the death toll soo low it is barely a scratch on the usual deaths each month.

I still think the media blow it all out of proportion. Heard on the radio on Wednesday that they said 1 in 10 people dieing from the virus had no underlying heath issues, further in to to the chat they said they were aged 80-84. So not they young healthy people they led you to believe originally.

Last edited:
Right now I’m more concerned about the economic impact of this. It’s going to cost every one dearly in taxes and take years to recover. Wonder what China’s contribution to the recovery will be? ?
Probably nothing as they have a population to oppress and nuclear weapons to build to protect their communism.
Even after this is over company’s will fold and jobs will be lost. I’m not sure I’m going to get through the next 3 weeks as the work is drying up. Being Furloughed becomes increasingly more of a probability, for both of us.
Personally I have vowed not to support the Chinese economy by buying Chinese goods where there is an option and even boycotting Chinese restaurants.

What ever happens there is another side to this Pandemic that we are not being told, ok another 3 week lock down due to the numpties that just have to go out and mingle, they have no idea of the cost to humanity they are contributing to, but trying to reason with them is as much use as shouting into a river, China knew so much more of what was happening, I see another Chinese town has gone into lock down on the Russian Border, personally I reckon this virus has spread with help, not to the point of being with the conspiracy theorie people, although some material unearthed about the head of the World medical authorities is a tad un nerving, how the hell did a Marxist get there? So many theories which ones do you run with? As for the News and Press, on the questions they ask when the Ministers are making their daily statement, really?? where and what are they thinking? same old same old, the Government cannot do anything right, constantly put down, I dont have a political stance but for once I am glad Labour are not in charge, they would still be arguing over what rights everyone has compared to what the fridges and toasters think, then people we really would of been in the POO!!!!

I am hoping that we are mature enough as a nation for there not to be any significant civil unrest.

Unfortunately I’m sure the French think the same but after the violence in Paris last night it’s only matter of time unfortunately.

Back