Legal Advice

Stephen CA

Core Member
I recently found a 27 Model T Lakes racer for sale in a dealership in Dorset. To cut a very long and tedious story short, I put a £500 deposit on it, and the dealer asked whether I wanted to PX anything (after a couple of weeks of negotiation over delivery and storage) and we agreed he would take the Camaro. Anyway, after agreeing a price and having discussed swapping the insurance over and agreeing the purchase he then decided he didn't actually want to PX the Camaro and I would have to arrange my own delivery. Having been messed about I pulled out of the deal and asked him to refund my deposit but a week later he's now sold it and kept my deposit. Do I have a legal case to get my money back?

Citizen avivise ( CAB) I would start with have you got everything in writing? Whats his selling purchase small print? Isn't there now a cooling of preiod now ie 14days return now questions ask type thing also e. Mail trading standards as well

Citizen avivise ( CAB) I would start with have you got everything in writing? Whats his selling purchase small print? Isn't there now a cooling of preiod now ie 14days return now questions ask type thing also e. Mail trading standards as well

Everything was done via e-mail, but there was no official paperwork. Looking at the vendors details after the event he has 13 companies that have been "dissolved" and several car dealerships.

Think e. Mails can be used? But that bit about 13 companies is a concern speek to trading standards and CAB they might say use small claims court if they beleave you have a case?

Is he still responding to your contact? I'm guessing you may have already tried this approach, but if he is, you could try telling him that you would rather settle amicably than legally before pointing out that as it was he who changed the deal and as you everything on record to prove that, you have a right to your deposit back.
But if he is ignoring you or responding with excuses then I agree, just go to trading standards. If he is notorious he will be probably be known to them. His track record along with the email evidence should put you in a strong position.

Is he still responding to your contact? I'm guessing you may have already tried this approach, but if he is, you could try telling him that you would rather settle amicably than legally before pointing out that as it was he who changed the deal and as you everything on record to prove that, you have a right to your deposit back.
But if he is ignoring you or responding with excuses then I agree, just go to trading standards. If he is notorious he will be probably be known to them. His track record along with the email evidence should put you in a strong position.

Well that was 100% sucessfull. As soon as I mentioned Trading Standards £500 miraculously appeared back in my bank account. Thanks all for the advice as always.

Just need to find another Model T now!

That's good news

That's a great result.

Back