Hyundai Kona N hot SUV teased with 247bhp

J

James Brodie

The reveal of the new 2021 Hyundai Kona N is just around the corner, and Hyundai has revealed a new set of teaser images for its upcoming compact performance SUV ahead of its debut in spring.

The new rival for everything from the Volkswagen T-Roc R, Audi SQ2 and BMW X2 M35i, to the new Ford Puma ST, will be on sale in the UK this summer. The Kona N project was first scooped by Auto Express back in May 2018, but this is our first proper glimpse at the sporty i20 N and i30 N makeover that has been applied to the newcomer.

Like all of Hyundai’s N-branded performance models, this hot crossover gets a more aggressive front bumper, a redesigned grille with three air intakes sitting above, and a new pair of side skirts, all of which are integrated into the Kona’s latest look, introduced with a facelift in late 2020.

At the rear, there’s a larger diffuser which is home to a purposeful-looking twin-exit exhaust system. A large spoiler, fitted with the company’s trademark triangular high-level brake light, finds its way onto the hatch lid, while red pinstriping is applied around the car’s lower edges.

Hyundai Kona N - rear teaser

The entire car also sits lower to the ground than the standard model thanks to a sportier suspension set-up and, behind the new alloy wheels, there’s a larger set of discs and uprated calipers.

A limited-slip differential, launch control and a set of sticky Pirelli tyres will all feature. Meanwhile, inside, buyers should get a similar level of equipment to the i30 N, with a pair of figure-hugging sports seats, a new sports steering wheel and an aluminium pedal box.

Hyundai has confirmed that the Kona N will be powered by the same turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine as the i30 N. There’s also confirmation that the Kona will be exclusively available with the eight-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox recently introduced to the i30 N line-up; the hot hatchback’s six-speed manual transmission won’t be offered.

Performance figures have yet to be released but, as it shares the same engine as the i30 N, the Kona N should have at least 247bhp as standard. However, there’s scope for even more grunt, because Hyundai’s range-topping i30 N Performance pack increases the engine’s output to 271bhp and 378Nm of torque.

The Kona N will join an expanded line-up of performance models from Hyundai’s hot offshoot, with the new i20 N hot hatchback also arriving in Europe soon. Prices should start from a Ford Puma ST-rivalling £27,000.

Would you choose a Kona N over a Ford Puma ST? Let us know in the comments...

Continue reading...

Back