E 5/10 Fuel

chris68coupe

Super Moderator
I'm sure this has been talked about before but cannot find the thread.

I knicked this from another forum and thought it will concern those of us with older cars.

This is the latest on ethonal added to petrol. Looks like if we pay the extra for higher octane fuel we will be OK for another 5 years at least.

Also depends on sales of older fuel if a read right. Bit like the old 5star and leaded unleaded fuel issues from years gone by. So wonder what damage this will do apart from seals failing???

I think there can be problems when vehicles are layed up too long like residue in carbs. As well as the deteriation of fuel lines etc. I've heard that keeping the fuel tank full can reduce the residue build up in the tank which if low there is more chance of petrol evaporating hence more residue to be sucked into the system when eventualy engine is run again.

It's was mentioned in the garage the other day about machinery out that that uses E5 how will the E10 effect them? Petrol lawn mowors ride on mowors. Quad bikes strimmer chain saws OK some mybe 2 Stoke so might not be effected??

Thanks for posting Chris. As you say, it seems that fuel for older cars will still be available for many years yet. Although, maybe some of the smaller fuel stations won't have to stock it.
But yeah, the effect of E10 used in older engines could be a worry. And if it causes problems if left sitting, things like lawnmowers do sit all winter. Same for boat engines.

Will e review after 5 years. Look at how much has been sold then reduce the amount that is avaible the demise of E5 as we know it.
Well if they recon by 2030 no new petrol engines produced all be electric won't be that many fuel cars on the road I will be near my 80s so wtf won't be driving lol. Lol

I'm ready for E85 when it comes.

I'm ready for E85.

So if E10 is meant to cut emissions so that means are cars will be less polluting will are road tax change as thats messures against the pollution factor of are cars JUST A THOUGHT

So if E10 is meant to cut emissions so that means are cars will be less polluting will are road tax change as thats messures against the pollution factor of are cars JUST A THOUGHT
Road tax should be based on the amount of damage is caused to the road by the vehicle. So a heavy vehicle pays more. This tax should be used to repair pot holes.

Trouble is that won't be an incentive to get electric. Perhaps an electric car should pay the tax on the CO2 it cost to mine the ore for the batteries.

I agree Darren. As road tax is emmisions tax, we should get a discount when using E10.

Only about a quater of road tax acctually goes into roads!

I think road tax should be based on mileage, the government already has this data from the MOT (albeit from the previous year). At the moment, I pay the same road tax for my Yank which mostly sits on the drive and does about 500 miles a year as I do for my daily driver which does about 10,000 miles a year. That's nuts and is unfair.

Been lots of bad press about this anybody had any issues???

I run my daily (Honda Accord) on E5 which runs a lot better than it used to. However a couple of freinds run thier fairly new dailies on E10 with less performance.

I run the Kia Picanto on E10. Rated at 60hp somewhere on the rev range, havnt noticed any performance decrease, still does 0-30mph pretty quick, and gets to 60mph down hill with the wind beind it.

Back