Consoles and privacy

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
Back in my gaming days I always used PC’s, but in those days it was about compromise. Technology that worked as both gaming machine and useful tool.
But these days I have less requirement for it to do both so might consider a games console.
But, can you play games on these things without having to sign up to some account?
Can they be used standalone or do I have to expose my privacy to the sorts of characters that are constantly trawling/trolling virtual locations like these?
I don’t want a Microsoft account or a Sony account is what I’m saying!

You can play on the PlayStation without signing in. Most of the games are online games, however many are not. Don't know about XBox.

I really liked the days of the hand held Nintendo's, like Donkey Kong etc..

one of the guys in the garage he pays 12 quid a money and rents games and gets the chance to buy games at a discounted rate it works out cheaper than buying games all the time and . try and game if you dont like it tay another so as many as you like for 12quid a month don't know if its all on line or through the post or what gaming machine he has not my thing but can ask next time in there .

The games aren’t my concern. I’m sure forza is as good on the PlayStation as the Xbox. I’m just not wanting to get involved with the membership crap.

Sometimes there are huge game updates, however if it cant connect to the internet it wont know there is an update, so you should be able to play it solely on your console fine. A lot of games these days seem to base it around playing others on the internet. Gran Tourismo is quite network based, however there is an 'Arcade' mode where you just choose a track and car and blast around with that.
I don't mind trying games out with no network connected with the games I have if you need anything proved.
Else it may be worth popping into your local 'Game' store to check what ones play with no network connection at all.

If it just the membership stuff, then I can only talk of Playstation as I don't have an Xbox, its around £60 a year, and it enables you to download some free games each month(although tend to be lower quality games but great game play) and enables you to play network games. Without joining the Playstation network, you can still download updates for your games.