Clutch thrust bearing

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
My car has been making a bit of a noise recently, it used to do it just as the clutch is engaging. Almost like an elephant noise, or a large rubber belt noise. It actually started doing this about 2 weeks after the clutch change, possibly due to no greased on it other than what was supplied, are they meant to be greased further?

Anyway, ordered a thrust bearing on Wednesday afternoon from rock auto, it was a decent price, even with shipping added it came to around ?50. Its out for delivery this morning (Friday), so it got sent Wednesday from Ohio and delivered Friday morning, how whizzy is that....

It will take longer to fit than the shipping took.

The thrust bearing is still in the boot of the car. Not gotten around to whipping out the gear box and popping it in.
Actually its not made as much noise, not the rumble in neutral that I used to get, just the squeak from pulling away. I wonder is the damp weather has helped in some way...

Did you go for solid bearing or the one they call pilot bushing? There are two types. Good luck in getting the old one out - we ended up having to buy a tool to remove it in our 97 T/a.

I changed the polit/spigot bearing a while back on a previous clutch install to a solid brass one. I was a bugger to get out but lucky to do it without a tool.
The Thrust bearing I was talking about it slides over the input shaft of the transmission and sits on top of the slave cylinder, which releases the clutch when the clave cylinder does its thing.

Have you still got the 97 T/A?

Ah I see :)

No Trans am gone now - sold it 5 weeks ago. Got loadsa parts which we now need to sell :)