Citroen Ami city car 75% likely to come to the UK says firm's boss

A

Auto Express

Citroen UK managing director Eurig Druce has told Auto Express that the company’s ground-breaking Ami could go on sale in Britain – but in left-hand drive form only.

Asked to rank the chances of the AMI going on sale in the UK on a scale of one to ten, Druce said, “We’ll go seven-and-a-half.

“Is it a pipe dream to bring it to the UK? I don’t think so. We’re in discussions, of course, with head office in Paris about the possibility of bringing it to the UK and our intention in the next two to three weeks is to evaluate feedback from customers that they see with the cars here on home ground.”

Citroen currently has a number of Amis in the UK with Druce one of the first behind the wheel of the 2.41 metres long, 1.39 metres wide all-electric city car.

“At lunchtime today I ventured out to the middle of Coventry and I have to say, you don’t fall out of love having been in it,” Druce told us. “It’s huge fun – it’s for a certain purpose, of course, but it meets that purpose perfectly.”

Citroen%20ami-6.jpg

Citroen%20ami.jpg

Citroen%20ami-5.jpg

Citroen%20ami-7.jpg

Citroen%20ami-3.jpg

Citroen%20ami-2.jpg

Citroen%20ami-4.jpg

The Ami is already on sale in France, where its quadricycle classification means it can be driven by anyone over the age of 14, with leasing payments from just €19.99 per month with a €2,600 deposit.

The clever design of the Ami uses identical panels for the front and back of the car and a single design of door – front hinged on one side, rear hinged on the other – with a minimalist interior to keep the costs low. Its 5.5kWh lithium-ion battery gives a range of up to 70km (44 miles), while it can be recharged using a three-pin plug in three hours. Top speed is just 45kph (28mph).

In order to keep the price low, Druce revealed that if the Ami did come to the UK, it would only be in left-hand drive form. “One of the considerations that we need to take into account is that it is unlikely that we would be able to move the steering wheel to the right hand side,” he said. “So we would bring the car in its current form in left-hand drive.

“Because of the nature of the vehicle and the fact that it’s not a very wide car then it doesn’t really mean much of a difference – you don’t feel like you’re driving a left-hand drive car when you’re driving around in traffic. I don’t see personally that being too much of an issue – it’s a barrel of fun.”

Head over to our sister site DrivingElectric to find out the best electric city cars on sale right now...

Continue reading...