Cheapish laptop?????

saleen 192

Core Member
My laptop has failed so looking online usaul places amazon e. Bay other inter sallers pc World.
Looking for a laptop that will have cd/dvd player as might want to play music or put car obd dusc in with leas to car use WiFi for obd or to listen to apps for music YouTube. Data log via software mybe have word or adibi to print diagrams from obd2 . But all the modem specs and terminlalogy is a minefield. Don't want to spend big amount say top wack 250 to 300quid as it would mainly be used for car working in garage outside not main computer as I have desk top

Wasn't long ago you got one?
My Dell lappa I got over 5 years ago and still going strong, was about £1200 though, and spend a further £400 on it over the years, lol.

What do you need it for? diagnostic software? Do you need it to be more robust than a regular laptop due to the environment. Not many lappas come with CD players, you can copy music on there through USB.
I'd be tempted to lead you towards entry level Dell or HP. I have a stack of unbranded/less known laptops people seem to give me as they are trashed after a year.

My laptop you can put a disc in tray pops out the side. Mainly for stuff mentioned above. No gaming or film watching.
Memory ram ie. 4gb then 64k what's cloudbook?? Not going to save to cloud. Take it all laptops have USB ports?? WiFi blue tooth?

My laptop you can put a disc in tray pops out the side. Mainly for stuff mentioned above. No gaming or film watching.
Memory ram ie. 4gb then 64k what's cloudbook?? Not going to save to cloud. Take it all laptops have USB ports?? WiFi blue tooth?
4gb of Ram would struggle to run the current version of windows, 8gb would be better, . Chromebooks are okay, but have their place, I think you would need things it cant do. Most laptops have USB ports and Wifi and Blutooth.

It will mainly have car stuff on it unless my desktop fails. Then use it for e. Mails and forums. Laptop main for different obd2 software and having YouTube or plant rock app on as use my phone for plant rock in garage. But dose need disc function as some of my obd2 stuff is on disc.

You can get external cdrom drives that run through USB if you find a laptop you really like with no cdrom.
I'm not sure how many have CD Roms these days, they seemed to be dissapearing a few years ago.

You can get external cdrom drives that run through USB if you find a laptop you really like with no cdrom.
I'm not sure how many have CD Roms these days, they seemed to be dissapearing a few years ago.

Agreed, neither of our laptops or my work one has Cd-Rom. It’s old tech.
I have a USB one for those rare times it’s needed.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8723602 example.

but no disc drive and says in review about so would that mean your seperate disc drive system wouldnt work ? dont really want to have loads of seperate things one of the reason why trying to put it all as one,
The four stars are for value, not performance. If you want to play action games, or run CAD software, you will be disappointed by the (lack of) speed. For the great majority of word processing and social media applications, it's perfectly fine. It's light weight and relatively long battery life make it highly portable. In this day and age, a new laptop really should have a USB3 port for quick data transfer - it doesn't.

my laptop failed, have 5 OBD2 SCAN TOOLS one of them is a basic freessm obd software but had to buy usb cable
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freessm.berlios/

another option if i am going to spend this money but means it can only be used for obd but laptop would give me more user options as in wifi ,youtube,music ,internet, not just being a scan tool,

over my price but any good ?

I do us my laptop as a scan tool too, so I can see why you would want it all one one device. If you are just scanning and not tuning, then I'd be tempted with the standalone scan tool. Use that for scanning.
If you still needed a laptop to watch 'how to fix it' videos on YouTube then that laptop does look nice and the seller have 100% feedback, not a bad price for the spec. The laptop would be capable of running your scanner software and hardware via USB. If you do go the laptop route, dont have it plugged int he mains while plugging into the OBD, people on LS1tech have fried ECU's.

@@@I do us my laptop as a scan tool too, so I can see why you would want it all one one device. If you are just scanning and not tuning, then I'd be tempted with the standalone scan tool. Use that for scanning.
If you still needed a laptop to watch 'how to fix it' videos on YouTube then that laptop does look nice and the seller have 100% feedback, not a bad price for the spec. The laptop would be capable of running your scanner software and hardware via USB. If you do go the laptop route, dont have it plugged int he mains while plugging into the OBD, people on LS1tech have fried ECU's. @@@

yes think my sct or my seally scan tool says the same,
dont want it to tune like you do dan, but yes on howto videos, and look up faults and cost says keep going inside to desktop ,
my laptop has the program and data logs for the mustang i have the sct disc so wen i do get new laptop will load it up as cant use my laptop,

Back