cb radio

punisher

Core Member
does anyone else have a cb radio in their car? if so what is your handle? i'll start my handle is punisher!

I used to be on the ' Naughty Network' 27 meg AM, briefly on the FM.

(Is that right?)

Last edited:
Used to have one in my cortina few of us had cb radios. The lamb in durrington from memory was local point. Lot of farmers and lorry drivers around these parts have cb even some public cars as well.

I used to be on the ' Naughty Network' 27 meg AM, briefly on the FM.

(Is that right?)

Yeah, that's right Chris. Until 1981 CB radio wasn't legal in the UK but 27 MHz AM CB had been in use in the States for many years. So people started using the AM CB radios (or rigs) illegally. Then in 1981 the UK was given 40 FM channels on 27MHz. Now, I think AM and FM is legal here, and more than 40 channels.
I was on AM back then as a nipper and even had a rig on my moped for a while lol. My CB handle was Joe Cool...as corny as it sounds. My elder brother made up the name.
I've been on more recently and had a rig in the car for a while. It's pretty quiet on there now. It would be great if a few of us got them. I had one in the car when we did the Burt Reynolds M25 memorial run last year and it was a brilliant laugh. Everybody had one...even the Snowman's truck. I adopted the handle Silver Tongued Devil lol

Yeah, that's right Chris. Until 1981 CB radio wasn't legal in the UK but 27 MHz AM CB had been in use in the States for many years. So people started using the AM CB radios (or rigs) illegally. Then in 1981 the UK was given 40 FM channels on 27MHz. Now, I think AM and FM is legal here, and more than 40 channels.
I was on AM back then as a nipper and even had a rig on my moped for a while lol. My CB handle was Joe Cool...as corny as it sounds. My elder brother made up the name.
I've been on more recently and had a rig in the car for a while. It's pretty quiet on there now. It would be great if a few of us got them. I had one in the car when we did the Burt Reynolds M25 memorial run last year and it was a brilliant laugh. Everybody had one...even the Snowman's truck. I adopted the handle Silver Tongued Devil lol

it is pretty quiet on there now but on long journeys its great to talk to the lorries they often tell you when there is a problem on the road. i have an old homebase at home and a modern rig in the car. the modern ones are so small they fit anywhere!

it is pretty quiet on there now but on long journeys its great to talk to the lorries they often tell you when there is a problem on the road. i have an old homebase at home and a modern rig in the car. the modern ones are so small they fit anywhere!

OK, cool. I will try to keep mine in the car to keep my "ears on" haha.Yeah, I did hear that many truckers use them. Apparently some farmers have them in their tractors to chat to each other while they are ploughing fields lol

OK, cool. I will try to keep mine in the car to keep my "ears on" haha.Yeah, I did hear that many truckers use them. Apparently some farmers have them in their tractors to chat to each other while they are ploughing fields lol

true lots in use around these parts not just the farmer lorry drivers general public (have to get one for my TA when i ever finish it) properly better signal around these parts than mobile phones lol,,

i had one once till some scum bag nicked it. stalker 9, 80 chancels am/fm and a k40 mic

true lots in use around these parts not just the farmer lorry drivers general public (have to get one for my TA when i ever finish it) properly better signal around these parts than mobile phones lol,,

Nice! Yeah, I'll definitely have one in the Firebird when it's back on the road. It's already got a hole in the rear of the roof for the antenna. And I've got a good ol DV27 ready to go on there! Lol

seeing alot cars and trucks and 4x4 with cb's now wonder if they are coming back in fashion????????

I have been listening to CB radio on and off recently and although it is still pretty quiet, you do hear the occasional local conversation on some of the channels.
Up on the viewpoint carpark on Portsdown Hill where Mick's burger van is, I've sometimes seen a bunch of off roaders parked up together. Some of them have what look like big CB antennas.

An interesting side of CB radio is that during certain periods over the years, more so with CB radios with an AM mode, you can actually hear and even talk to people in other countries, even America when the conditions are right.
It's related to the roughly 11 year Sunspot Solar Cycle. It affects many radio bands. Radio hams use it to good effect to make contact over very long distances (another hobby of mine). We are currently just coming out of a low, so it's comparatively quiet at the moment, but in the coming years we are entering the next Solar Cycle, which I think will peak in about 5/6 years. This article explains more...

yes there is a bunch of green lanners if you like around the ellan valley area mixed from landys to jeeps and even modified vans group of them and they have cb on their off roaders see them about a few times,

I had a CB radio in my old VW bus, I think I've still got it somewhere. I should really dig it out and put it in one of the cars, probably the Camaro with a 70s retro Bandit style trunk mounted aerial. ? On a serious note, I've often thought that having CBs in a few cars on any club cruise is probably a good idea as it can help keep the convoy together. Did a VW charity run around the M25 a couple of years ago and the convoy got so fragmented as no-one had CBs it was almost like just driving to work, with the added jeopardy of being in an old Aircooled VW.... ?

I had a CB radio in my old VW bus, I think I've still got it somewhere. I should really dig it out and put it in one of the cars, probably the Camaro with a 70s retro Bandit style trunk mounted aerial. ? On a serious note, I've often thought that having CBs in a few cars on any club cruise is probably a good idea as it can help keep the convoy together. Did a VW charity run around the M25 a couple of years ago and the convoy got so fragmented as no-one had CBs it was almost like just driving to work, with the added jeopardy of being in an old Aircooled VW.... ?
I took part in a Burt Reynolds Bandit memorial run round the M25 soon after he passed away. I mentioned it on a previous thread somewhere. Most of the cars seemed to have CB radios and not only did it help to coordinate the cruise, with some of the funny comments and quotes from the movie on the CB it was such laugh and such a fitting send off for the great man! :cry::)(y)

I took part in a Burt Reynolds Bandit memorial run round the M25 soon after he passed away. I mentioned it on a previous thread somewhere. Most of the cars seemed to have CB radios and not only did it help to coordinate the cruise, with some of the funny comments and quotes from the movie on the CB it was such laugh and such a fitting send off for the great man! :cry::)(y)
Yeah I remember that, and I sadly missed it as got sent to the USA. I mentioned to about 5 of the Americans I worked with about this cruise as Burt Reynolds has passed, 3 out of them 5 hadn't heard of him.
If they do another cruise I would be interested.

Back