Southsea Cruise

Added to Calendar: 38 dates

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
0107.jpg
The Portsmouth / Southsea Cruise is a get together of American and classic cars in the car park opposite Clarence Pier (near the Ilse of Wight Hovercraft). We stand around having a chat and looking at what cars have turned up this month.

The Southsea Cruise is a moving car show of classic and American cars that cruise around Portsmouth. At 6pm we go for a drive along Southsea seafront, up to The Hard and around Old Portsmouth. This has been going for many years. The cruise takes around 45mins. Its a regular Southsea event on the 3rd Sunday of every summer month.

Since mid 2006 the Solent Renegades are the organisers of the Portsmouth / Southsea Cruise, also known as the Pompey Cruise.

Every 3rd Sunday of each Summer month the cruise will congregate in the public car park opposite Clarence pier, near the hovercraft terminal. The cruise will start at 7pm. Apart from the first an last cruise(April and October) which is cruise around 5pm

There are many CCTV cameras along the route so please take care and in the interest of safety please no Burnouts. Too much reckless driving and the event could be stopped.

The Southsea cruise has also been called the 'Pomey Cruise' and 'Southsea Car Rally'
SouthseaCruise2024side-a.jpg

SouthseaCruise2024side-b.jpg

Last edited:
I did wonder when he/she would start posting rubbish. Didn't want to turn them away as they may have been genuine. They have proved they just joined to post spam. They will be removed.

I take it the post was removed :) :)
Yep I was on the ball and deleted it. Some advertising with a link that just didn't fit for forum.

Cruises back on starting August. Slightly different route due to road closures, but still meeting in the same place and cruising at the same time.

tyanks for posting

Looks like we cant do the cruise this month as gatherings of >6 are not permitted. So if we did try to arrange it there could be some comeback or council/police.
However you can go on a plane with 200 strangers breathing the same air for hours with no masks on. You can also visit pubs.
Best to be safe .

Last edited:
L:eek:oks like we cant do the cruise this month as gatherings of >6 are not permitted. So if we did try to arrange it there could be some comeback or council/police.
Hiowever you can go on a plane with 200 strangers breathing the same air for hours with no masks on. You can also visit pubs.
Best to be safe .
Shame, but you did try, well done.

you can go on a plane with 200 strangers breathing the same air for hours with no masks on. You can also visit pubs.

yet there are only 3 seats in my truck. i am confused can anybody explain

I don't think the 'rule of 6' would apply to us as long as we don't all get out our cars and stand shoulder to shoulder. It's more for stopping larger groups from congregating closely - like house parties. In an open air car park with social distancing and possibly masks I don't see that there would be any grounds for fines/dispersal.

I don't think the 'rule of 6' would apply to us as long as we don't all get out our cars and stand shoulder to shoulder. It's more for stopping larger groups from congregating closely - like house parties. In an open air car park with social distancing and possibly masks I don't see that there would be any grounds for fines/dispersal.

I agree. But then so much of the guidelines coming into law seem to have little common sense applied.

I can't see that the Southsea Cruise would be seen as a problem either. We wouldn't actually be meeting up as a group as such, just driving to the same place. There are no rules against that. Provided we didn't stand closely together in groups it should be fine, even more so if we remained in our vehicles. I couldn't find anything on on the Government website about car cruises specifically, but it is impossible for them to cover absolutely everything. Below is what it says about day trips, which is probably the closest thing in terms of people proximity...
3.2 Are day trips ok?
Yes, day trips to outdoor open space are allowed. You should take hygiene and safety precautions if using services on the way. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household or support bubble. You should walk or cycle if you can, however where this is not possible, you can use public transport or drive. If you do use public transport, you must wear a face covering and should follow the safer travel guidance for passengers.

If we advertise it, it would be classed as an organised event, with that becomes the issue.
However if we don't advertise it and this month its not to do with us, we cannot stop people congregating in the car park and going for a drive. ;)

I can't see that the Southsea Cruise would be seen as a problem either. We wouldn't actually be meeting up as a group as such, just driving to the same place. There are no rules against that. Provided we didn't stand closely together in groups it should be fine, even more so if we remained in our vehicles. I couldn't find anything on on the Government website about car cruises specifically, but it is impossible for them to cover absolutely everything. Below is what it says about day trips, which is probably the closest thing in terms of people proximity...
3.2 Are day trips ok?
Yes, day trips to outdoor open space are allowed. You should take hygiene and safety precautions if using services on the way. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household or support bubble. You should walk or cycle if you can, however where this is not possible, you can use public transport or drive. If you do use public transport, you must wear a face covering and should follow the safer travel guidance for passengers.
It can be possible, but in reality once you park up it is so tempting to gather, especially if someone has something new on their car and everyone wants to see it and ask about it. Our cars stand out more than what is happening around them and I think that could make people report things. It's easier to notice a group of classic cars parked up than a group lurking behind a wall or a bush or something. If someone reports a group and are asked for a description, the person will struggle, for us they can say a load of people with big American cars and it is clear who they are talking about.
I'm not trying to influence anyone either way, but there is always someone waiting to complain and when fines are involved, who knows.

It can be possible, but in reality once you park up it is so tempting to gather, especially if someone has something new on their car and everyone wants to see it and ask about it. Our cars stand out more than what is happening around them and I think that could make people report things. It's easier to notice a group of classic cars parked up than a group lurking behind a wall or a bush or something. If someone reports a group and are asked for a description, the person will struggle, for us they can say a load of people with big American cars and it is clear who they are talking about.
I'm not trying to influence anyone either way, but there is always someone waiting to complain and when fines are involved, who knows.
You make some good points and I agree that we would be easy to trace if a malicious do-gooder wanted something to do. It does seem crazy though and as American Thunder has said, some of the rules don't seem to make sense when compared to others. Like...we may get fined for standing by our cars in a car park...and yet, we could all legally go and sit together in a pub! :unsure:
Hmm, maybe that's the loophole??

I've just had this from Pete Yeoman who runs the Waltham Chase meets:

Subject:Waltham Chase Meet and Covid Restrictions

Hi all,
This is a warning that if you stray far from your home you may be fined.

A friend of a friend yesterday (5th January) was out with his wife for a short drive in Winchester to exercise his old Land Rover which had not moved for a while and was stopped by the Police and they were each fined £200 for being out without a lawful excuse.

What more can I say, this time the lockdown means lockdown! We do not want to be labelled with the `can`t be bothered` part of society.

See you all at some stage, well hopefully, keep me informed of what you are doing, we all need some contact with the outside world and communication is a great thing.

Pete Y

Ps I don’t envy the Constabulary having to enforce this.

Back