Adverts

an88fiero

Super Moderator
Is there any way of getting rid of some of the adverts that come up:

Capture.jpg

I really don't want to know about Muslim girls :)

The Ad's are supplied from Google, they select advert based on your search history, I know you are not keen on google, and perhaps it can't see your search history, so then giving some rubbish unrelated ad's.

I'll see what I can do :)

The Ad's are supplied from Google, they select advert based on your search history, I know you are not keen on google, and perhaps it can't see your search history, so then giving some rubbish unrelated ad's.

That might explain it. She is searching via her iphone/ipad both of which are set to reject cookies unless pre-authorised and uses a search engine that maximises privacy.

Religious ad's should be blocked now, or in the near future. :)

I have an odd email the other day, from a religious terror group wanting me to visit their website so they could explain about their god. I'm wondering about forwarding it on to the police or something, or if there if a governing body that looks into that crap. Looks like the IP address it was sent from is Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
I wonder who you would report it too....

Have to agree No adverts at all would be great.

Have to agree No adverts at all would be great.
That would be the perfect world, but revenue towards web hosting costs is required. However some of the Ad's like at the top can be disabled depending on the usergroup you are in. There are ad's in the first and last forum post on the page, however signed in users won't see them.

Is it possible to have it two ways. Members who contribute get no adverts, those who don't get adverts?
Might be an administrative nightmare, but just thinking of options?

Good idea. I will dig into that, see the options. A certain user group could have adverts disabled. There are contribution add-ons.

Our website runs many forum modifications from DragonByteTech, this contribution one looks like it has a lot of features. It also looks like it will automatically put a donater into a usergroup, this user group would be set to have adverts disabled. vBDonate - DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons
So looks possible. It's an option for users to contribute if they desire, if they don't the forum will run totally the same for them.

I have installed it, as you can imagine from the description there is a whole host of settings.

Contributors can have some sort of medal in the post bit on the left, and a different colour background. With this it puts you into an additional usergroup.

I have been configuring a usergroup where ad's are not shown. its not as simple as it sounds as I have to add in some PHP checking in templates. Its getting there though.

Good point about the contribution value. humm I don't know. I was checking the functionality first. but yes, i guess i will need to set a threshold value before people becoming a premier usergroup.

I got sheds and fences and online supermarket shopping this morning ha ha

What no 'decking' adverts? Lol
Religious stuff should be long gone.

Well the plug-in is installed. The Donate menu should show up on the menu bar now.

Once a donation has been made you will join the No-Ad's usergroup. Now I have been unable to test this as cannot sent a paypal payment to myself. So I think there will be some teething issues that I can manually sort.

So who will be first to give it a go?

Ah, yes it works, when a payment is made, I have to go into Admin and confirm its been received, from there the donator is automatically added to an additional user group. Advertising has vanished for me now :) Although one left on the CMS(Articles) section down the left hand side, more coding needed to exclude that one.

Back