ABS light and Brake light on. 4th Gen Firebird

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Since I optimised some thing in the engine bay, I get the ABS light and Brake light on.

Found a post where yo can join wires

if you're looking at the ABS connector pin 12 is ground
Shorting Pin 7 to pin 12 will turn off the ABS INOP light.
Shorting Pin 16 to pin 12 will turn off the BRAKE light. (The light functions normally, indicating when the E-brake is on or off)

I shall give this a go and post pictures.

Dose this just reset or perm off??

Or is it on for a reason ie low pads or handbrake switch fault from handbreak turns lol

Or is it on for a reason ie low pads or handbrake switch fault from handbreak turns lol
No speed sensor on the rear after changing the diff.

if you permanently put out the ABS light it might give you a problem at MOT time

Think from memory if abs light stays on all the time is an mot issue as mot inspector checks all dash board lights. But it's a warning light so come on for a reason weather it be a problem with Abs or a short . Personally would repair not just link it out..
Might be a section on mot guidance on gov website to confirm

Try your scanner to pin point the issue. My ABS doesn't work either and after scanning it turned out to be a brake switch.
It's probably not due to low pads because there's no electronic wear sensor, it could be a wheel sensor which on the front is part of the hub unit I think.
Happy hunting!!

Good to hear from you Paul.

A scanner won't fix this one. I know why the light comes on. Just going to try a work around to reduce the Christmas tree of lights. Lol.

You know why please tell

You know why please tell
dan told us in post 4. the mot tester will/ should turn the ignition on and watch the light come on then go out to check that the bulb works Dan needs to refit the sensor or stop the ABS looking for the rear sensor

Lol thanks the Welsh Air must be getting to me.

Well I should have a free evening tomorrow. I may finally give this a go.

Last edited:
Upon further reading of this wire mod, it only works on year 1998 cars. It wont work on 99-02.

Back to searching the manuals. Perhpas fitting the ABS back in, removing the line lock, and buying a different rear axle is the easier solution, or live with the lights.

I'll keep digging.

Back